From:
"<Lori> <Malizia>" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 5 Dec 2000 10:59:15 EST
NYC FERRETS UPDATE:

1) WE HAVE A NEW FLYER!
2) THANK YOU FACT AND KISTA SHELTERS

   ________________________________

1) WE HAVE A NEW FLYER!

Every few days between now and December 18th, we will be adding new things
to our website that we need your help with.  It's important that we reach
as many NYC ferret owners and ferret supporters as possible during this
time.  Think of these things as "assignments" :0)  Think of the flyers as
Assignment #1!

Please check the NYC Ferrets website ( http://members.aol.com/NYCFerrets )
often during the next two weeks (or join our email list -not all NYC
announcements are posted to the FML) to receive your new assignments!
Together, we can make ferret legalization happen in NYC.

Assignment #1: New Flyers!

We have a New Downloadable Flyer at the NYC Ferrets website
( http://members.aol.com/NYCFerrets ) with information specific to the
December 18th Public Hearing.  Please distribute as many copies as you
can to ferret friendly pet stores, vets, friends and neighbors between
now and December 18th.

*If you live outside of NYC: Make sure every ferret owner/supporter that
 you know in NYC's five boroughs receives a flyer.  If you're not sure
 whether or not they live in one of the five boroughs -ask them!

    _______________________________

2) THANK YOU FACT AND KISTA SHELTERS

In spite of their own fundraising efforts to help out the ferrets in their
shelters, both Kista ferret shelter in NJ ( http://www.kistaferret.com )
and FACT ferret shelter in CT ( http://www.ferret-fact.org ) sent us
donations to help out with our current mailing.  Please remember to
support these and other local ferret shelters.

Most ferret shelters are privately owned and run by volunteers who's only
goals are to help ferrets.  Find out what your local ferret shelters need
and remember to pick up a few things for them the next time you pick up
supplies or food for your own pets.  Leftover medicine or medical supplies
may also be welcomed donations if your ferrets no longer need them (check
with the shelter first).  And don't forget those old blankets, sheets,
towels and toys that you may have lying around -or the "new food" that your
ferret didn't like for some reason!  Also remember them the next time you
stop in at a SAM's or Price Club or Cosco.  Most shelters would welcome
that 30-pack of paper towels that you got for five bucks!  <grin>

Of course the *most* helpful thing you can do is to give a home to some of
the ferrets in their care.  You can adopt anything from "special needs"
ferret and help it live out the rest of its years in a loving home, to
some of the many young 100% healthy ferrets that end up in shelters simply
because their previous owners got "bored" with them.

Most "regular" shelters don't really know what to do with a ferret -except
to turn it over to a local ferret shelter if they're lucky enough to have
one near them.  Good ferret shelters rarely make any kind of profit and
generally operate at a loss.  They exist because somebody saw that there
was a need for a good ferret shelter in their community and decided to fill
that need.  We, and the ferrets they care for, are very lucky that they do.

-NYC Ferrets