From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 22 May 2014 14:06:31 -0400
Because I did not ask his permission to copy his letter to the lists I
am paraphrasing, but the moderators of the FHL and FML have seen his
letter, so know that I am being accurate.

Ben Hatler, the Director of Operations at Neotech has informed me that
there have been no long term serology studies done in ferrets, and that
they have not performed the studies needed to made claims for use in
ferrets, only in dogs.

He was very frank and pleasant, and I let him know him of four good
places to inform should such studies take place in the future and
have good results: the FML, the FHL, the AFA, and Ferrets Magazine.

If memory serves, some ferrets in Dr. Ruth's titer study who had good
titer results had Nobivac used. That is a good reason for Nobivac being
considered acceptable, but the vaccine made by Neotech, for which such
data is lacking is the similarly named Neovac.

Note that Nobivac also lacks full testing for ferrets.

In past vet posts to the FHL, Nobivac has been named as a good
alternative when Purevax is not available, but some people have
confused Nobivac and Neovac, not realizing they are different
vaccines.

Also, there was a recent rumor that Neovac titer studies were done, but
that turned out to be false when checked, and Mr. Hatler has now kindly
confirmed what multiple vets told me about his product and the needed
testing. He appears to be very professional and considerate. His letter
impressed me a lot.

The false positive rumors in relation to ferrets about his product
appear to originate entirely from confused ferret people, and NOT from
that company, but thank goodness someone wanted this rumor checked!

Like everyone else I will be glad if we can have multiple tested
vaccine options in the future, but until then it pays to know what
testing exists and what does not.