From:
Bill & Laura <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 15 Nov 2009 20:26:01 -0700
I know many of you have been eagerly awaiting news on the "Oregon
Ferret Rescue" Situation, but there have been some crazy things
going on. We haven't kept the details from you on purpose!

The end of the story is that there are 47 ferrets that were pulled
from the situation, and they are safe at the shelter. Some are sick,
some are thin, some have cancer, but most are doing well now they have
proper food and care. Our shelter population went up 200% but we had
backup supplies and are working on food/litter procurement as well as
vet care aid.

The interesting part of this story is that there is no pet store that
closed, there is only a hoarder who decided to suddenly liquidate their
stock of animals in a hurry by offering them for free on craigslist
while simultaneously begging for money from the ferret community.

The house is in Idaho, not Oregon, and is owned by Jenasiea Morrison
(You may remember her 260+ ferrets in a two bedroom townhouse in Layton
Utah episode).

Volunteers went and pulled ferrets out, as many as they could, but they
did not get the approx 30+ breeding ferrets and the large parrots,
mink, and other animals are no longer in the home.The other petstore
ferrets were given away to anyone who would take them. It seems that
many are being resold on craigslist and I'm sure a few will be coming
in as many have respiratory issues stemming from poor ventilation and
living in wood shavings.

Apparently, as of this weekend, there is nothing there except piles
and piles of animal supplies, cages, etc and boxes and boxes (hundreds)
of Iams home for the Holidays care packages addressed to Joan Andy's
Kitty & Puppy Rescue.

More info will be posted here once other pending local issues are taken
care of. No one knows why both the newly discovered Idaho location &
Utah were liquidating animals, but for a hoarder to let go off their
prized collection, it must be something unusual.

If you'd like to help out the ferrets you can donate to SOS or you can
donate to Totally Ferret towards our shelter account (these kids can
eat!) If you'd like to help monitarily, you can also use our paypal
account [log in to unmask]

Follow our blog for future details! www.emmettferret.org/blog

~Emmett Ferret Shelter