From:
April Campbell <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 15 Nov 2002 15:48:47 -0500
Hi-I would like to ask the vets out there (I'll ask the vets I work with,
too) about this.  Linda I. said:

>But in the meantime, I look forward to hearing Bob's recommendations
>on feeding practices.  I cover my ferrets cage with a heavy dark cloth,
>give them lots of dark sleeping spots, try to improve their diet, and
>let my 2 youngest girls go through a heat cycle before spaying.  Will
>any of it help?  I don't know, but it's all I know to do for now.

I am curious as to whether the same is true for ferrets as cats, that
once a cat has gone into heat for the first time, she is TEN THOUSAND
TIMES more like to develop mammary tumors and mammary cancer than if
she is spayed before her first heat cycle.  I have not personally been
around for as many ferret mammary tumors as I have for rats and cats
with them, but I'd be curious as to what the stats are?

-April

"There's nary an animal alive that can outrun a greased Scotsman."
-Groundskeeper Willy, "The Simpsons"