From:
scott sinclair <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 22 Jul 2007 12:57:39 -0700
The BFF video clip found on futureschannel.com is really endearing and
has a pretty good history (albeit brief) of the BFF recovery project in
CO. overseen by the US Fish and Wildlife Service. One thing that really
isn't mentioned, however, is that the same agency (USF&W) that is
charged with recovery nowadays is the same agency that oversaw the
mass poisonings of the prairie dog towns (and still makes opinion on
USFS/BLM agency plans for current poisoning campaigns) that invariably
led to the almost extinction of the BFF to begin with. If you can find
a small book that came out in 1971 titled "Must They Die, the Strange
Case of the Prairie Dog and the Black-Footed Ferret", by Faith
McNulty, Doubleday and Co., you will have a chance to read about the
bureaucratic bungling that almost cost us our only native ferret. And
the saga continues to this very day as at least one National Forest
have poisoning plans for Prairie Dogs set for implementation.this
after REQUIRED USF&W biological opinion I am sure.

Putorius and the nine weezils of doom