From:
Tressie Dutchyn <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 15 Jul 2008 21:55:45 -0300
Someone had posted to the FML earlier about the fact that PetCo is
now going to be carrying ferrets from a Canadian breeder and asking
if anyone knew who the breeder might be. From the description of the
tattoos in the ears (a vertical blue line, actually an I) it would
appear to be 'Real Canadian Ferrets'.

I have just heard from someone else affiliated with The Ferret Rescue
Society of Ottawa & Area (FRSO), Jen Lehman, who has fostered and owned
a number of these fuzzkids.

America - be prepared, here's what she had to say:

I would have to agree with MaryBeth [Stanistreet]. It would seem that
you're getting "Real Canadian Ferrets". They have shorter snouts and
necks than the MF ferrets. They also tend to be heavier, more muscle
mass, very solid little guys. Beautiful coats too. BUT, and you had
to have known that there was going to be one, they are also breed for
looks and health, NOT for temperament like the MF ferrets.

My husband and I have owned 6 of these little guys and only 2 did not
have nipping issues. Our wildest one of the bunch didn't really start
to settle down until he hit 1 1/2-2 years of age. You REALLY have to
work diligently with them and not give up. They are, in our opinion
much more ferrety than the others and can have a more feral instinct
to them.

This is not to say that we regret our choice. It is simply a warning to
those looking to purchase a kit. I usually always say to new potential
ferret parents that if they have no ferret experience and/or have
younger children to stick with the MF ferrets.

Before "Super Pet" was bought out by "Pet Smart" they used to carry MF
ferrets. However, due to problems that they had experienced several
times with shipping, i.e. some of the kits had arrived sick or even
dead, the company opted to switch to "Real Canadian Ferrets". In
Ottawa, during this time, only three pet store chains carried ferrets.
"Super Pet" was by far the most knowledgeable on the subject, had the
largest amount of supplies and took great care of the animals. The
other two chains: "Pet World" and "Little Critters" carried MF ferrets,
had no supplies to offer customers, had staff who knew nothing about
them and where not taking good care of the animals. As a side note
"Haggen" ferrets have long since been absent here. They are tattooed
with an "H" in the ear.

 ...that's when the FRSO started to receive more and more surrenders.
"Super Pet" made ferrets become a more household name and really
showcased the ferrets in their stores. So, people were buying more
ferrets and still not doing enough research on them to see if they
were the right pet for them.

We were however getting two types of surrenders, ones who didn't
realize the work involved in ferret ownership, which has always been
an issue with any animal being surrendered or dumped, but the others
were starting to surrender ferrets due to nipping issues. Not to
mention the number of emails that were increasing regarding this issue.

This is a common problem with the "Real Canadian Ferrets" and why I
don't recommend them to all. My recommendation is for people to try and
play with the kits in the store. It will help them determine who's more
aggressive but also watch them at play with each other in the cage to
see who's more dominant. Try to take them home as young as possible,
don't encourage extremely rough play and PLEASE discipline. ...

Again let me say that I don't want to scare people away from "Real
Canadian Ferrets", I just want to help educate and assist if they are
having problems with their little ones. I wouldn't change my guys for
the world. And, as they age, they do in fact settle down more. You just
have to be prepared for the "terrible two's" to last a little longer,
say about 2years! Also keep in mind that MF have been around for
DECADES and this Canadian company has not. In the end, I say to each
his own.

Thank you Jen for the timely information.

Please let shelters in your areas know so that they will be prepared
for more surrenders coming in - if PetCo does indeed start to carry
this genetic line.

Tressie A. Dutchyn, PhD (c)
Dalhousie University
Research Project Coordinator