From:
william killian <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Sun, 3 Jul 1994 22:56:39 -0400

Ferrets outdoors is not bad thing though it might seem that way by recent
conventions.  Ferrets are domestic but have been living outdoors or in
un-air conditioned houses for thousnads of years.  As Dr. Williams said
the heat can get to them.  The native environment was Europe and Northern
at that.  The US can get quite hot which seems to bother the fur balls.
I know a breeder who raises all his stock outside and they are among the
healthiest ferrets I've ever seem.  He has trouble on the hottest days
but little trouble on the colder end.  As far as keeping a ferret outside
part of the time I would be afraid the change in temperature could get to
the ferret as well as the extreme heat.  A porch on the the side of a
building will proboably be hotter than under the roof of a shed.  Even
with some shade.

Ferrets in Maryland.
I lived in montgomery county md. for a few years recently.  Moved around
quite a bit in Virginia before moving the the metro area, then to
Rockville MD and Germantown MD before moving across the river to Northern
Virginia.  I have never had any problem in moving.  However I have always
kept my ferrets mostly in a cage so home always went with the ferrets.
They have always enjoyed exploring new places but always pick new corners
to 'claim'.  I've never been successful in housebreaking my ferrets for
whole apartments or houses, and not always for whole cages.  I also have
never had any real problems with ferrets in apartments - since they lived
mostly in cages the management never cared.  While renting houses I had
trouble with only one landlord (she lived in DC and was clueless on
everything not just ferrets)  I wouldn't worry two much about a move but
suspect you'll have to start over on house breaking to some extent.

Ferrets in metro DC area.
Seeing a UMD in a address I hope you (Michelle right?) know about the
various ferret groups right in the metro area.  I'm down in Prince
William County now so I'm not a member of the Maryland and DC clubs but
am involved in the Loudoun area group and the several 'National' groups
centered in the DC area.  Most of these are in the *STAR* list (one of
the local 'National' groups I'm involved with by running a member shelter)
The LAFF, LIFE and AFA (all centered in the area) put on ferret shows and
'fun matches' every year that I go to and show/enter ferrets.

I'd also like to publicly thank Dr. Williams for the help he gave in
helping Dr. Kawasaki diagnose one of my ferrets recently.  Dr. Williams
has done work on samples from several of my ferrets and I am truly
grateful.  I owe both of these gentlemen more than I can repay with mere
Vet bills or even simple thanks.

bill and diane killian
zen and the art of ferrets