Date:
Fri, 26 Sep 2008 09:05:08 -0500
Demi, convince you that Peanut will not be lonely and that Georgia will
not miss her little peanut. HAH! Do YOU have any children? Do you have
any teenagers? Well, for those of you out there who DO have teens - or
will in the future - let me share this bit of sage advice I received as
mine was growing up: God gives us the teenage years so that when the
time comes for our children to leave home, WE ARE READY FOR THEM TO GO!

In the wild the BFF is a solitary animal. The kits leave home on their
own. All the research on them supports this. I have seen them in the
wild and sure enough, only one comes out of that hole! Do you have any
ferret that fight when they are together? Well, the BFF is much more
muscular - can you imagine? I did see one ferret with a hole bit clean
through the leg - wow! Some of them can get pretty beat up - and still
they survive!

In the wild, those ferrets get to explore and see places they have
never seen. It is an adventure for a young ferret - if (s)he survives).
They come together just for mating. I mean, don't you know people like
that? I travel a lot and see things and do things some people will
never get a chance to do. I am single and for a long time I noticed
that a lot of the people who enjoy doing the same things I do were also
single. We would come together and have a great time and then we all
went back to our own little corner. Wouldn't it be great if we could
go home together? Well, some people just don't like to do that. They
like the quiet alone time. BFFs are like that, too.

Little Peanut will get the opportunity to reproduce from now until he
retires - a pretty cush life for any male if you ask me! All his needs
met and someone else is doing the cooking and cleaning! Think movie
star! I mean, what teen wouldn't like a lifestyle like that?

And, since you brought up the ZOO! Usually the last day of the
symposium people who want to go to the zoo go as a group. This year
that is not planned because of the distance and difficulties involved
in getting there. So, instead, there is a function at the hotel. BUT,
you give me the opportunity to share that the National Zoo is part
of the Association of Zoos & Aquariums (AZA). Members of other AZA
affiliates can use their membership card and get reduced or free
access to sister zoos. So, if you are a member elsewhere, pull out
that card. And, if you want to visit the Pittsburgh Zoo on your trip
to the Symposium, bring it along!

So, Demi, did I convince you? Will I get to meet you in Pittsburgh in
November?

--
Renee Downs
"Eventually we will realize that if we destroy the ecosystem we destroy