From:
"Ferrets First Shelter, TX" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 3 Feb 1996 16:13:26 -0500
The question was from Andre/Jennifer regarding a first ferret.

I have found that a simple way to train ferrets to use the litter box in
their cage is to put them in a very small, one-story cage (for a short time,
for training purposes only), cover the bottom completely with a clean towel,
and place a litter box in a corner.  Provide food and water and regular
playtime, but when the ferret is caged, put him/her in this cage.  Gentle
coaching will help, and I even have a girl who will 'go potty' on command,
or "pretend to" if she doesn't need to go, in order to be let out to play.

Ferrets are actually very clean animals.  They usually will not 'go potty'
on their bedding (or the towel covering the cage floor).  It should only
take a few days in this setting for the ferret to get the idea.  Once he/she
has proven he/she knows what a box is for, return the ferret to the regular
cage, though clean towels covering the floor is a good idea.

Ferrets are very smart animals and they are alot like children.  Be careful
not to expect too much from them.  I just rescued Boomer whose owner said he
could not be litter trained.  One look at how impossible she made it for him
to use the box, told me why.  The first night here he used the box, and has
ever since.

Ferrets often do not realize they have to go potty until they "really" have
to go, and, like children, feel they cannot possibly wait.  Remember, when
you are that small the opposite corner of a room can seem very far away, so
often they go where they are.  Put a litter box in every corner and it is
likely they will do their best to comply.  But be very careful when scolding
them, you can do psychological damage or cause other behavioral problems
without realizing it.

Obviously, if your ferret does not know the difference between rewards and
time out, you are sending him confusing signals.  My best advice on living
with a ferret is to try to understand their point of view.  Try to look at
the situation through their eyes, and think like they think, or consider
them as children and try to understand their reasoning for acting a certain
way.

Leaving them in the cage when they wake up is not always the answer.  When I
am training, I make sure I *have* to wake them up, I get them out of the
cage, hold them and love them for 15 to 30 seconds, put them down and follow
them.  Within 1 to 2 minutes the ferret WILL have to go potty and I snatch
him/her up and take them quickly to the nearest box.  Eventually they get
the idea, and there is no reason for scolding or punishment, I use only
positive reinforcement and praise when they are good.  I do not give treats
for this sort of good behavior.  (Praise has worked better than anything for
biters who show improvement, also.)

Last word..if you are opposed to picking up a little poop now and then, I
strongly urge you to find another pet.  Ferrets are not perfect and neither
are we.