From:
Denise L Voskuil <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 2 Apr 1995 15:17:35 -0500
To the anon. fellow Twin Citian:

I think the pet store owner who raved against 8 in 1 was referring to
the old formulation, which was criticized by many for the reasons that
were given.  The new food was developed using nutritional requirements
for ferrets, minks, and cats, and contains a lot of high-quality protein
and fat, from what I've read.  I do admire such concern for ferrets,
though - I've seen some pretty poor ferret foods carried by some shops.
I've never been to that store; perhaps I should check it out before I
move.  [Disclaimer: I don't work for 8 in 1; I don't know anyone who
does - I just want some as a more healthy treat for my raisin-adoring
ferrets.]

Here's a question for the vets, vets-in-training, etc.:
I've been keeping my ferrets in my bedroom in preparation for moving
(want to clean the carpet in the other rooms so my roommate won't
complain, etc.).  Randall has been getting stir-crazy, and thus gets
into everything he can.  I found yesterday that he'd knocked over my
makeup tray, spilled some perfume (well, at least my room won't smell
like _ferret_ when I leave!), climbed onto a window sill, and got into
the hamster food.  Not only had he spilled it everywhere, but he'd
eaten some of the food pellets.  I tried to clean up as much as possible,
but I'm sure there's probably some still on the floor.  I later saw
that one of the two had diarrhea (and I'm sure it's not Rocko).
Randall is still as energetic as ever, but I don't know if there's
something I should be doing, especially since there might still be a bit
more food around to be eaten.  I was thinking about giving him Nutrical
or chicken baby food to get some more ferret-appropriate stuff into
him.

After reading the complaint about FML length, I thought I'd throw out
some humbly-offered opinions and suggestions (no flames from me).
- If someone asks a question that's in the FAQ, could non-anon. people
  E-mail them with the response?  (If the questioner is anon., then
  it has to go in the FML.)
- Questions that aren't in the FAQ should probably be answered in the
  FML.  If it was recently discussed, someone who answered (or asked)
  before should probably E-mail with the collection of answers.
- I kinda like cute ferret stories - it's a bright spot in the day.
  Using discretion is appreciated though.
- Please, NO USENET GROUPS!  Ahem, sorry, but I get sick of seeing
  "Make Money Fast," "kill and eat ferrets/cats/dogs," ads, and
  newsgroup invasions in the newsgroups that I do read.  Also, not
  everyone has Usenet access, including Dr. Williams.  Anon. service
  is much easier here, and Bill does a great job of moderating.

Happy ferreting,
Denise, plus Rocko and Randall, and Grumpy (teddy bear hamster who
   wishes that Rocko would be more like Randall in his food interests -
   he's probably sick of Rocko playing vulture on his cage)
--
/\\    ____  ,^-o, Denise Voskuil - [log in to unmask]
  ``-,'    `-';~~     Brain: "Are you pondering what I'm pondering?"