From:
Edward Lipinski Ferrets NorthWest FNW <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 28 Jun 1999 23:58:32 -0700
As observer at Ferret Frolics put on by Exotic Pet and Bird Clinic of
Kirkland, Washington, and not an active participant, I would like to
offer this:

Formerly I ran this event along with the staff of the EPBC when it was
called the Ferret Frolics/Olympics.  I no longer do that since the events
are hardly "olympian." Also I was not permitted expression of free speech
with one of my bumber stickers that read, "Ferrets are gay ~ the old
fashioned way." These days, not PC, wouldn't you say?

The event was very well organized and according to one observer who sat
at display table representing the Oregon Ferret Shelter, he estimated
attendance about 80 people.  Not all people were participants, whereas
others came with more than one ferret.  My count agreed.  So the average,
an estimate, is 80 or so ferrets were about, including one 11 week old kit
owned by a young boy.  This kit was dropped on the concrete floor, having
fallen off a EPBC folding table about 30 inches - splat!  If the kit
suffered any injury, it was not immediately evident.  Must wonder about
kids & ferrets.

Another Mercer Islander, a young lady(?), in attendance did not bring any
ferrets, as she has stated here on the FML for reason she fears they could
become infected possibly by other ferrets, presumably less healthy than
hers.  If I understood her post correctly, she stated that no verifications
of innoculations of ferrets were made by the several ladies and one man
(vet techs) who ran the "show."  I don't know if she is correct, but I saw
no evidence either of health records (shot verifications) being checked.
But I didn't see everything nor everybody, so I really don't know for sure.

And that brings me to this suggestion for future events run by the vet
techs (?) and employees of Dr. Skip Nelson's EPBC.  As I observed the
cup-tipping contest in which some 15 (?) or so ferrets participated I was
struck by the quality of the water that was placed in each of the plastic
cups on the table.  That water was scooped up from a white plastic 5 gallon
bucket that had debris on the bottom that looked like plain ordinary dirt.
I'd estimate a quantity of several cups full of what appeared to be soil.

The table was covered by a tan plastic sheet that did not allow water
tipped out of the dozen or so plastic tumblers to be removed completely
from the sheet.  As ferret after ferret was placed on the table, most of
them drank from the spilled water and also from the dirty water that was
in the tumblers just before they tipped them over.

As any student of Bacteriology 101 is aware, moisture is an ideal conveyor
of bacteria, giardia, guinea worm, or other intestinal parasites that may
have been innoculated into the water by any one of the participating
ferrets.  Thus any one of the ferrets participating, or all of the ferrets,
may be now carrying whatever microorganisms, oocytes or larvae they could
concievebly have picked up on that contaminated table.  Who knows?

I suggested to young vet techs running the cup tipping contest that perhaps
next time they use table with wire screen top so follow-on ferrets do not
have spilled water, maybe contaminated, to lap up as they move around the
table sticking their noses into the water-filled tumblers, drinking water
and spilling it on plastic table top sheet.

I sincerely hope none of the ferrets that participated in cup-tipping
contest have become ill as a consequence of this unfortunate, ill-conceived
"game."  And perhaps other ferret clubs will consider the risks when they
run their cup-tipping.  Also, perhaps some substance other than water be
used to "anchor" the tumblers, such as tiny little bit of clean sand or
rice or washed gravel.  The use of water, especially obviously dirty water,
will most certainly promote the transmission of possible diseases to all
ferrets that come into contact with it, particularly when they do drink it,
even just one lap of the tongue.

Several dogs (I counted 5) were mingled with the ferrets and made physical
contact with as many ferrets if not more.  I always issued a verbal alarm
over the loudspeaker or by voice when dogs approached the ferret olympics,
not knowing for sure if any one dog might kill a ferret on sight - it can
happen in an instant - or perhaps just as bad, transmit disease.  I would
suggest that the vet techs take action to warn ferret owners about the
possibilities of contact with strange, pure-bred hunting dogs in future
ferret frolics.

Perhaps had the veterinarian, Dr Skip Nelson, Colonel U.S.  Army Reserve,
been there, he would have had his "troops" in better shape.  Nevertheless,
they did a good job otherwise.  I salute you, one and all.  It's one
helluva lot of work, isn't it.

Edward Lipinski
Y B NML?