From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 10 Jul 2010 23:43:15 -0400
Thanks for all your suggestions. I don't think the two vets who are
still at the practice are very ferret knowledgeable, though one worked
for a year with the best ferret vet in the area (unfortunately too far
to get to without a car). so I don't understand why she would say what
she did about using pred and it losing effectiveness, and also why
she'd suggest using pepto bismal for life.

I do have some of the other stuff, the kaolin/pectin antidiarrheal,
which I was using before I brought her in to the vet in April. The
first vet did look for specific bacteria, etc., and didn't find
anything. It was after he left that the other vet suggested the amoxi,
flagyl, pepto treatment. Now they want me to bring the ferrets back to
be examined again before putting her back on pred. I don't know what
they think they're going to find; nothing has changed.

I have tried probiotics. They didn't work either.

Would the pepcid AC work for diarrhea? I thought it was for something
else.

In any case, besides this problem, Minky eats well ( a lot, in fact,
probably because she doesn't absorb food very well); she's a good
weight; and she's active, except not as much on the days when the
diarrhea is worse. It varies.

My other ferret has problems occasionally, also, but his problem tends
to be very mucousy poop.

I don't know whether or not to go in to this vet again, though I do
need a prescription for prednisolone. I dread going to another place,
as I've seen so many vets who weren't very good for ferrets; also every
time you go to someone new you get hit with that "first visit" fee.

Both ferrets also have seedy poop. I think they've been through a lot.
I think they were abused in one of their previous homes and neglected
(out of ignorance, not maliciousness) in another.

Thanks again.

[SS]