From:
"Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary in Hernando, MS" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 29 Nov 2011 12:58:35 -0500
 ....sigh! I slept all of about two hours last night. Did some crying
and was angry most of the night. Couldn't sleep.

I have named her Mercy... Mercy is the second of two abandoned ferrets
picked up by local ACS officials in the past six days. She was found
yesterday morning about 10:00 a.m. by a woman walking her dog near a
busy two-laned highway. The officer was told the woman first thought
it was a dead squirrel laying on the grassy area but as she got closer
she realized it was not a squirrel -- but a ferret. IShe also told the
officer that she recognized that it was a ferret because her daughter's
best friend had one years ago. She said she picked up the cold, wet,
barely moving ferret and wrapped her in a scarf and ran home and called
police. They sent the ACS officer.

ACS called me and I contacted the veterinarian where she had been taken
to. Unfortunately, we worked late last afternoon and was unable to see
her until this morning on my way to work.

Mercy is a little black sable female, we estimate to be about 6 months
old -- damn, she's only 6 months old and her life may be over because
some piece of crap threw her away like garbage! No one is looking for
this ferret! ACS has been out to the area where she was found and no
one is looking for her....she was abandoned. No signs up. The officer
even went to some homes looking for anyone who may have owned her or
knew of someone owning a pet ferret...nothing! No ads in the papers,
no ads on Craigslist....no calls or emails to my shelter. No calls to
the ACS or the local humane society. Nothing!

Mercy is suffering from exposure, possibly minor frostbite to her ears
and feet, emaciation, and dehydration....Mercy had been outside for a
few days possibly or she was already in that weakened condition when
she was dumped and succumbed to the elements quickly. Folks, it rained
and was very, very cold beginning late Saturday afternoon and it snowed
last night. She survived the day and night at the hospital. She is
being well cared for and I got to hold her for a few minutes before I
had to leave. Cried some more. My anger grew as I drove to work.

The other little one was brought to us on Thanksgiving Eve by my town's
ACS. The caller said the ferret was scritching at her back door to be
let in. This little guy arrived clean, fresh, in good condition,
and....with two adult fleas. Either this ferret is a very lucky little
guy ... or I suspect the caller was really the owner and just wanted to
surrender the ferret without admitting to be the owner....but, does it
really matter!? Luckily, I am on very friendly terms with the Hernando
ACS officer. She is a dear friend.

We have named him Punkin....sorry, could not think of anything else at
the time -- hey, it was Thanksgiving and I was cooking when he arrived!
I was really hoping someone would call missing a dear pet. Nope. Yet
another throw away pet -- nothing to get upset about, right! Punkin is
about 6 months old also. He is a sweet, feisty, playful, social little
light brown sable who deserved better.

Honestly! Sometimes I wonder if people have lost their soul....(shaking
my head)!!! Two very young ferrets just abandoned as if they were
nothing. Nothing! I have an older ferret that has recently become
paralyzed that was found abandoned on the banks of the Mississippi
River back last summer. He did not get there on his own! I know my
brothers and sisters in dog and cat rescue see this all the time.
Fortunately, ferrets are not as common as dogs and cats, not yet
anyway, and so this occurrence does not happen as regularly as with
the kitties and doggies.

I just do not understand it...never will. You would think after over
10 years of ferret rescue and over 25 years in animal rescue, I would
get used to this.....I just don't understand people...how can you be
so damn cruel!!

Good Lord! Seems like everything we do is in vain...there will always
be someone who doesn't give a flying rats ass about anything or
anyone!! And, another to take that creep's place...and another, and
yet another...it never, ever stops, does it!?!

Sigh....sorry folks, thank you for letting this tired shelter mom vent
for a minute.

Mercy needs all of the prayers she can get right now....please keep her
in your thoughts...

Respectfully submitted,
Maren Qualls
Raisins From Heaven Ferret Rescue & Sanctuary
Hernando, MS