From:
Barbara Ludt <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 16 Dec 2000 19:40:28 -0500
In regard to my Shelter's status, broached initially by Sue and then by
Judith from SOS.....

Sue wrote: "I also would like to ask Barbara about the South Florida Ferret
Rescue being dissolved.  How is it that she still can be the NE branch of
it?  I do believe that she is no longer under that name, nor is she a
501-c-3."

You are correct, Sue.  But again....there's MORE to the story which I am
happy to further explain.  Our main Shelter in Miami known as South Florida
Ferret Club & Rescue (SFFC&R) was dissolved in June 2000....our 501(c)3
status is also no longer valid.  Since the dissolution I have tried in
every instance to change my former association as a Branch shelter to read:
***NE FL Branch Shelter of the *former* SFFC&R***
I believe that shows continuity as a long-standing reputable Shelter; and I
am proud to have been a branch shelter for SFFC&R so many years--initially
in South Florida; and for the past 6 years in NE FL.

To clear up other misinformation in regard to *my* being a 501(c)3....that
was our Main shelter's status.  Any donations made out to SFFC&R were sent
to Angela for cashing.  The bank account was totally controlled by Angela
in Miami.

Yes, I wrote/received many grants for SFFC&R over the years....and was
successful in receiving thousands of dollars for SFFC&R from several major
animal-related funding sources.  All such funds were sent directly to
Angela as SFFC&R's President; all I did was volunteer my abilities to
produce grant-winning applications as a result of one of my perceived
flaws: To document, document, document....with "before" and "after"
photos of Shelter ferrets in SFFC&R's care; flyers and photos of SFFC&R's
fundraising events or participation at Pet Expos and educational seminars;
in-services at pet stores and various humane societies, etc.  Grant writing
was something I enjoyed doing as my way of further "volunteering" and
fundraising for SFFC&R.

I believe the above also addresses some of Judith White's concerns as well.
I'm not trying to represent myself as something I am not.  Thank you,
Judith, for confirming that I "did NOT respond" to your email for updates
this last time and that my SOS "entry IS out of date".  EXACTLY.  I wrongly
assumed that if I didn't reply immediately as I had in the past---and since
everyone seemed to already be well aware of the public dissolution of
SFFC&R's 501(c)3 status.....I would automatically be removed if I did not
reply.  My error.  Judith, please feel free to remove my branch shelter
listing from any further SOS Shelter List.

But now that my perceived wish for "notoriety" and/or "ill gotten gains" is
being explored.....Judith's SOS; The Ferret Store; TOTALLY FERRET; etc.
are all quite aware over the past few years when I was advised that items
(mostly food donations) were about to be sent to my Shelter.....I contacted
these individuals and/or entities and asked the donations instead be given
to another listed Shelter (or even Chere McCoy's "Ferret Friends Disaster
Response International) that was in more of a need than myself.

I have tried to maintain financial self-sufficiency and don't believe I've
ever taken advantage of anyone.  We are not filthy rich.  My husband and I
have worked hard for 30+ years for our financial security; we live simply
and all our avenues to "give back to the community" are animal-related.  I
did the re-assignment of such donations behind-the-scene and asked for no
approving kudos from anyone.  Nor am I asking for any "Attaboys" now.....I
do what I do because of my upbringing and what my Heart tells me to do.
But I do feel strongly compelled to defend myself against these unfounded
and unwarranted attacks.

Sure if folks select a Shelter they happen to want to donate to--and mine
happens to be the one--and I receive baby food or ferret bedding delivered
to me....I do accept it gratefully.  More often than not I've tried to
share such donations either with other Shelters; individuals; or my
fostering homes/volunteers to help them continue to be able to help the
animals too.

Sue, Jim and Jackie have all benefitted from their working with me over
the years; as *I* have from the volunteered help of both Jim and Jackie.
Personally I view the coordinated attempt to discredit me simply as "sour
grapes" as no longer do I offer assistance in any manner to these
individuals once I knew our philosophies and codes of ethics did not mesh.

It is disheartening--to say the least--to read the insinuations of the
past two days on the FML trying to discredit me.  I try hard to live with
personal integrity---but if others wish to degrade me and my motivations, I
cannot stop them.  I can only defend myself to the degree I feel pubicly
necessary and go quietly on with my Life and my personally fulfilling work
on behalf of the animals.

Barbara Ludt