From:
Stacey Schrier <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 28 Dec 1996 17:13:07 PST
It's been a long time since I've posted.  Last time I posted I wrote about
the passing of our beloved Grumpy in Sept.  He left behind our only other
baby, Buster.  Buster was having a hard time dealing with his brother
passing (not unlike ourselves).  He had already lost his sister earlier this
year due to lymphoma.

Buster would wake up long enough to eat and look in his brother's normal
hiding spots, then go back to sleep.  He would do this frequently.  No
matter what we did to get him to play he would perform this routine.  So, we
decided that it was time to get another ferret.  We live in Gerany and
checked everywhere including pet stores and the tierheim (animal shelter).
Everyone said that they only get them in once a year in Jun or Jul.  That
depressed all of us.  So, I called my best friend in the states just to pout
and told her I thought that Buster might die of depression, Her reply was
that she would get two babies (a brother & sister) for us and send them to
us.  I said "Oh yea, (sarcastically) send them in the mail." She was serious
(except thru the airlines)!!!  She knew how much it meant to us and most of
all to Buster.  Well, to say the least, FERRET MATH struck us too!  We,
ourselves had done the paperwork for our other babies to come to Germany
from the US earlier this year if anyone wants to know how.  We did have one
problem with this last time with the kits.  I will post again later, sooner
if someone needs that info.  Just e-mail us personally.  Anyway, we finally
received our kits on October 14, 1996.  They are so adorable!  I believe
they are sable blazes!  They have little white markings on their tummy and
on their knees.  They look like they are wearing little knee pads!  Buster
was so ectatic when he saw them.  They all did the normal familiarizing,
smelling each others privates and following each other!  It was so cute.
Buster actually had a playful look in his eyes and started to dook and war
dance and everything!  We were very excited.  He plays a mix between a
father figure and a big brother.  We forgot how much energy kits really
have.  It's great having them.  Our house seemed so empty with only Buster.
Especially with him being so depressed before they came along.

Buster has been a lot happier with them here but we've noticed that he has
had symptoms of an ulcer.  This is understandable considering all the
changes that he has gone through.  We have taken our ferrets in to a
(german) vet.  When they have had colds, etc (anything else I have taken
them in for) in the past and he has only given them shots instead of
actually providing the antibiotics, etc.  so that we may continue the meds.
We have been in contact with some of the German "Frettchen" Clubs and they
did state that they would help us to find a ferret knowledgable vet near us.
BTW, they are very nice.  They have been accomadating since not many in the
clubs actually speak english!!!  But, with Buster's symptoms we really
didn't think that we had time to wait.  So, first of all, we ended up
getting into contact with a few different people on the FML which gave us
much info and other contacts.  It seemed like we were trying everything to
no avail.  Well, he was having other symptoms last week so we decided to
take him into our current vet.  Like I said above he is a good vet and good
with the animals and speaks english good enough for us to communicate.  I'm
just not sure how ferret knowledgable he actually is.  We went in there
armed with the FML Medical FAQs, the best prescribed meds for an ulcer, and
were determined to get the medicine.  Believe it or not, after all the
problems we had with getting the meds, we GOT THEM!!!  He looked very
shocked that we had so much info on them and that I actually researched the
whole ordeal.  He said most buy a fuzz ball from the pet store and know
nothing about them.  I said that is what the FML is here for!!!  It's here
to educate owners, vets, get contacts, and also have fun talking about 'our'
babies!  I FIRMLY BELIEVE THAT IF WE HADN'T GONE IN THERE WITH THE FML THAT
WE WOULD NOT HAVE RECEIVED THE MED= S.  THANKS TO EVERYONE THAT HELPED TO
CREATE IT AND TO BIG FOR GIVING ALL= OF US ACCESS TO SUCH A GREAT FERRET
LISTING!!!  I would also like to thank everyone else which helped us.
Special thanks to Ela, Joanie, and Troy Lynn.

My condolences to all those who have lost a fuzzy and get well wishes for
all those who are sick.  I know its tough parents, but hang in there.  Good
luck to all.  Happy Holidays!!!

                Stacey
                and the babies - Buster, Jesse, and Rebecca