From:
Joanne Ruffner <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 7 Oct 2003 10:02:44 -0700
First... I want to say thank you to the people that have sent my mom
cards... She loves them....she is also starting to see how the ferret
community comes together... it is funny... each card she gets she is
excited about!  I think she has received 4 so far (to include one from
the UK).  If you would like to send her a card please feel free to:

Ruby Ruffner
P.O. Box 4316
Huachuca City, AZ  85616

Ok... now on to her update... for those that might not remember..she has
gone through death of 2 sons, three time cancer survivor, spleen removed,
coma, gallbladder removed, cataracts, ovary removed, kidney failure,
heart transplant, diabetes, and now this....she has lost 40 pounds in 6
months and now weighs 91.5.  Her weight continues to drop and the doctors
have run every test that they can and have come up with nothing.
Everything just runs through her.

My mom is a Newfoundland girl and if you know anything about them they
are very stubborn and friendly.  She takes everything in stride and has
this power to always stay positive no matter what life throws at her.
Newfoundland is the only place that has an extra 30 minutes added on to
their time zone... their reasoning... so when world ends, they have 30
extra minutes to party!

My mom is now depressed... she has been in bed for a month.  Her weight
goes down even though she wants to eat.  She is moving around a little
more, but not much.  She loves life and will continue to fight.  It is
not her nature to give up...

I wish I could tell everyone what was going on with her medically but
no one knows yet.... We do know that it is not cancer and it is not
affecting her new heart.  She has a PICC line in and has blood drawn
from it twice a week and sees her heart doctor every Friday.

My parents were planning on going to Florida for Christmas but, of
course, now they are not.  My dad, semi-retired, has been playing nurse,
house husband, cook, maid and wonderful friend (married 45 years this
past August).  Next summer we are going back to Newfoundland if all goes
well... see... we are always looking forward.

My mom thinks ferrets are "interesting".  It is funny though... she loves
our sick ones even more... I think because she understands what they are
going through more than anyone else.

Anyways, thanks for letting me blab away.  My mom means the world to
me... she is what holds our family together.  A wonderful woman with a
true heart of gold.  Always giving always loving and always learning.

Joanne Ruffner
Ferret Corner Shelter
"Ferrets are the Spice of Life"
www.geocities.com/ferretcorneraz
www.supportourshelters.org
www.geocities.com/neverforeverland

There's a pot of Ferret Love at the end of the Rainbow