From:
Bob Martin <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 5 Nov 1998 07:10:56 -0500
>My question is how do pine shavings and pine pellets differ?

I have spoken with Bill at the Pine Fresh factory many times about this.
It was evident that he cared when he asked if he could come to my place
150 miles away to pick up samples of used litter for analysis....he had
no ferret studies at that time.

During the making of Pine Fresh, it is subjected to very high temperatures,
soaking, and pressures in both of the two step pellet processes.  All of
the harmful (in huge amounts) chemicals are driven out by this.  It is also
kiln dried.

The dust particles are quite large by dust standards, and do not float in
the air like that from clay litter.

I cannot speak to pine wood stove pellets, but I have diligently pursued
the pine litter issue in this area, and I think it is safe.  I buy 300 lbs.
at once, and after 15 years cannot report a lung problem.

I THINK stove pellets are made in a similar way.

Bob, in central VA