From:
Debbie Saunders <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Jun 2007 22:05:42 -0400
Ever heard of it? Gastric dilatation volvulus. In a ferret. Yep, if
its gonna happen, it's gonna happen in a shelter.

I came home from work around 3:15 p.m. and found him on the bottom of
his cage, wrenching & whimpering. In one singular movement I snatched
him out of the cage, cradling him in my arm while I ran out the door,
dialing the Veterinarian Hospital on my cell phone... lay him across my
lap and sped off. With the boys, the first thing I think of is urinary
blockage, but that suspect was quickly eliminated. X-rays showed what
seemed like an odd shaped blockage so an emergency exploratory was
preformed and they found what had only been seen in mainly large breed
dogs, a twisted stomach. The doctor repositioned things and sutured
the stomach back in place. He's currently at the after hours Emergency
Hospital on pain meds and IV fluids.

I do not like playing "stump the doctor". Luckily this time,
observance & speed of action were on my side and we got to the
hospital, hopefully, in time.

We're not out of the woods yet, so I implore all in my ferret family
to keep our FatBoy in your thoughts.

Debbie