From:
"Mason T. Weinrich" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 1 Jun 1998 14:28:37 -0400
Hey friends -

Its been a few years since I posted very much, but its a time for moral
support from the ferret community...

Slinky (featured in Mod Ferret # 16) has been having a few problems
recently - lethargic, hind limb weakness, etc.  I took him in for a glucose
test at Dr. Dutton's a month ago, and it came back fine.  ince then,
however, I have started to feel what I thought was a very enlarged spleen,
and his energy decreased, while his back leg weakness/discomfort has
increased.  Took him back to the vet today - X-Rays show not only an
enlarged spleen, but an obscured large mass further forward in the abdomen,
which appears to be pushing his small intestines into the rear part of the
body cavity.  We did a CBC blood test to see if there are any major disease
problems - if not, he will probably be operated on shortly.

Slinky is close to five years old, and my first ferret.  He is one of the
mopst gentle and intelligent ferrets, or animals of any kind, that I have
ever encountered.

I'll keep you all informed - if anyone has any advice, please send it along.

Cheers - Mason, Slinky the sick one, Pogo the healthy, and Leila the cat