From:
Lorraine Kozlowski <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 3 Jan 2005 14:22:12 -0800
Just wanted to share something I think all ferret owners/lovers need to
know.  I spend a lot of time with my little guy.  He is an only ferret
that has the run of the house and it is just me and him.  I love him to
pieces.  Either I wake him up or he wakes me up and we start the day.  He
comes downstairs for breakfast, he follows me around.  He waits outside
the shower.  We have some playtime.  How much depends on how late I am
running for work.  And as soon as I get home he greets me by the door.
He has his dinner.  He follows me around and sleeps in one of his special
spots.  The spot that is closest to where I am.

I have written several posts lately because my little guy, got sick...
went limp...rushed to the emergency rooms..transported to the vets office
and diagnosed with lymphoma.  After much consideration for chemo (NO) or
herbal medications (No pain relief and no cure) and prednasalone, I went
with the traditional meds.

The reason for my post is this.  I had no idea how slowly, very, very
slowly Alex was slowing down.  We went to skipping an occasional morning
play time to skipping more and more till we didn't do playtime.  This
happened so slowly and so gradually I really thought he was just slowing
down with age.  He eats good, he poops, he pees and he slept.  He always
was a good sleeper but slowly very slowly he was sleeping all the time
he wasn't eating.  I swear it was so slow a process I believed it was
natural.  He stated his meds about 5 days ago.  My little guy got better
everyday.  He stayed up longer, he had a little play time.  This morning,
he jumped, he played he chased his feather, he was rolling over and
jumping at my feet.  He was a happy active ferret.  His slowing down
wasn't because of the aging process...As mine is.  He was getting sicker
and sicker.

I would probably think this was coming from someone who doesn't really
spend time with their fuzzy or isn't paying attention.  He is my little
shadow.  If I am not at work, I knew where he is and how long he has
been sleeping there.  I don't know if this will help anyone with early
detection and truthfully, even with early detection the illness seems to
always win.  But, if it is something else that is slowing a little ferret
down, its not age.  Cause when they feel good they are little babies at
heart.  Just my observation.  But maybe it will help someone.  I would
not have believed how much I missed, until I have seen it for myself!

Best wishes for healthy babys...
Lorraine and Alex