From:
Date:
Thu, 27 May 1999 09:35:44 -0700
>From:    Tanya Sander <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Fur lightening??
>I have a silver mitt who just turned 3 yo.  She used to be a medium gray.
>Within the past few months, her gray is turning to white.

In ferrets that creeping whiteness is called roaning.  Perfectly normal
and expected.  Just means she may turn into a dark eyed white.

>From:    Dawn Hohl <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Angora Ferrets
>I have been considering an angora ferret as an addition to my fuzzy family,
>and would love to hear from any ferret owner that has one.  I have heard
>and read that they have a lower incidence of tumors and wondered if owners
>out there could verify that experientially.

I wouldn't be sure about that.  Too many folks that have non-American lines
which would include angoras make the claim that they are healthier than
American lines.  In a anecdotal gathering of data it seems that they are
about the same.  Perhaps different problems but all ferrets in America
seem to have similar life spans.  Angoras have nothing that makes them any
healthier than other Swedish/Danish ferrets.  YEs we've had a few angoras
in the house.

Since we have more different European strains than most other breeders it
certainly isn't sour grapes.  We'd love to be able to say our ferrets won't
get tumors but that would be deceptive.

>From:    "Selina, Birch, Dief, Sprite, Storm and Sand"
>Subject: canadian ferrets.
>I was at a petstore over the weekend, and the sales person claims that
>there are no small ferret breeders in Ontario.  The reason was supposedly
>because of a few breeders who did too much inbreeding, and now it's very
>"controlled".

Sales people will claim just about anything won't they.  I don't know if
there are any smaller breeders in Ontario right now but that reason sounds
rather suspicious.

-bill
--
bill and diane killian