From:
Linda Iroff <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 19 Apr 2000 17:05:22 -0400
Questions for Bob Church or other who might know:

1. Once upon a time, I found the pet food industry definitions for things
like chicken, chicken meal, and chicken by-product meal, but haven't been
able to find it for a while.  Does anyone know where I can find the
official definitions?

2. Also once upon a time, I recall Bob saying that high quality canned
ferret or cat food might be a better diet choice that kibble.  How do we
convert protein and fat percentages?  For example, Iams canned kitten food
has 14.5% protein, 10.5% fat, 68% moisture.  How does that compare with a
dry food that is 36% protein, 22% fat and 10% moisture?

And while I'm at it, I'll go ahead and jump on Bob for the nasty things he
said/implied about force feeding and duck soup.

First, of course a ferret who is not eating on his own should be seen by a
ferret knowledgeable vet to find out why.  Of course sub-q fluids can be
beneficial for preventing/relieving dehydration.  But sometimes ya just
gotta make 'em eat when they don't wanna, even off your finger.  Of course
you have to be careful they do not aspirate the fluid.  I've "force fed"
many dozens of ferrets and many shelter operators have force fed 100's
without a case of pneumonia.  (Bob, you should know better than using one
example as a justification for for doing/not doing something!)

Second, there are probably as many duck soup recipes as there are people
who feed it.  Generically, duck soup is a liquified food that may contain
any combination of: kibble, chicken baby food, canned cat food, A/D, food
supplements such as Insure or Deliver, various vitamins, health food
supplements, etc.  Bob is correct in that some ingredients in some recipes
may be of questionable value, but the idea of liquifying food and making
the ferret eat it whether he wants or not has saved MANY ferrety lives.

Linda Iroff
Oberlin OH