Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Fri, 8 Apr 1994 21:02:54 -0400
> From: Mason Weinrich <[log in to unmask]>

> Also - a general comment for people trying to get rabies and bite stats
> together.  before you make too much of that data, realize what others
> will say.  So there have only been a few cases of rabies and lower bite
> rates than cats and dogs - most people will only look at the number of
> ferrets in relation to the number of cats and dogs out there.  There's
> a great little book called "How to lie with statistics" which I suggest
> reading before touting these numbers, just so we can make sure we don't
> fall into the same traps.

That's EXACTLY the point we're trying to MAKE to people!  - the statistics
concerning rabies and bite data DO take into account the relative
populations of animals, and STILL come out very much in favor of ferrets -
the `anti-ferret' people quote statistics out of context, or DON'T compare
relative populations, that's where all the trouble stated in the first
place..

WE (ferret owners) won't `fall into the trap' as we have the real figures,
the state and county governments either don't, or refuse to accept the
numbers when they have them (I'm dealing with that now).  But it's a good
point to remember - the government can lie all they want, they're in charge.
Ferret owners MUST remain brutally honest.  If we are caught in a lie ONCE,
it's all over for us and our fuzzies!  (Fortunately, WE don't NEED to lie!
the facts speak for themselves!  :) )

Well, 5 more days till I try to get a ferret again. :)  (Wish me luck!)

Matt Ouimette
U.F.A.