From:
Anonymous Poster <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 5 Aug 1998 13:54:00 E
hi, first let me apologize if this topic has been covered a zillion times
already, but i didn't see anything that fit my problem exactly-- then again,
i don't know how to search the archives very well yet.

okay, so our (my and my housemate's) buddy lester appears to have had a
severe allergic reaction to something (we're not sure what but he got into
the bathroom yesterday--we try to keep him out--and was mucking about under
the tub and in the waste-paper basket).  The worst of it has passed--last
night, he vomited, had very runny and blackish diahrrea --we gave him some
children's benadryl and made him stay in his cage.  this a.m.  he still
didn't look so hot--did get out of the cage but was lethargic and his little
paws and eyes were still red.  felt a bit warm.

before i went to work this morning, i gave him a little more children's
benadryl.  we didn't have a dropper in the house--we've just been giving him
a wee bit out of the cap, also soaked a treat in it (he's eating a bit so
that's good and drinking water).  last i saw of him, les was zonked out
again, crashed in his hammock.

i'm gonna check on him soon, in about an hour.  i thought about getting
some children's pedialyte (saw it recommended a few times on this list) and
maybe a little baby food.  Is that a good idea--what flavor baby food?  If
you guys could tell me any other signs to look for--to make sure he is
recovering and not getting worse--and things to do about the latter--that
would be great.

if he doesn't get better soon, we will of course take the little guy to the
vet.  it's just we're super broke and last time (this happened once before,
about 7 months ago) we took him, the vet gave him a shot of benadryl, gave
us a bill for $80, and that was that.  she (the vet) was the one who
suggested getting benadryl to have on hand.  so, as much as we love him,
financial concerns (i.e. scarcity of funds!) demand that we try an at-home
remedy first this time.

Thanks mucho for any wisdom you can impart. Sorry to blab on and on
...Kristin