From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 13 Aug 2003 16:42:50 -0400
>From:    Emily Topp <[log in to unmask]>
>
>OK, who here has experience with ferrets who "poof"?  We are considering
>adopting ferrets here in Germany and are used to those who have had their
>scent glands removed (as all my ferrets in the U.S. had).  I just found
>out that this procedure is banned in Germany; they consider it cruel.
>
>Positives and negatives, please?  Any input would be appreciated.
>
>Thanks, Emily

All of my personal ferrets have never been descented and some of my
rescues are not descented.  Pet store ferrets are.

Ferrets poof, it stinks, its gone in less than 20 minures.  Ferrets
usually only poof when they are frightened.  As kits wrestling they may
poof.

Adults seldom poof.

If you animal keeps poofing when appears to be no reason it may be
iimpacted glands and then they will need ot be removed.

KG