Date:
Thu, 16 Sep 2010 05:36:57 -0700
I have a number of requests to stop and talk and to take ferret
measurements and DNA. The cut-off time to request a stop is Saturday,
when I map out the trip and email people with visitation times. Once I
set the trip map, it will be difficult to make changes, so ask now or
forever hold your peace. If you have already sent me an email, please
be patient and I will send you my itinerary this weekend.

So far, it looks like I'll be driving a southern route out to
California, most likely I-10W. From Missouri I'll go south to Little
Rock, West to Dallas, and then down to I-10. In California I'll head
north (H-99 or I-5) for the Legalize Ferret Revival. For the return
trip, it looks like it will be I-80E to Salt Lake, north to I-90E and
then I-25S or I-29S to I-70E. Mind you, this mapping is still in the
air and might change on Saturday. It may even change later if the
weather turns sour, but I've plowed through white-outs, snow and ice
before to see ferret people. It would have to be really bad.

I have more than 1000 ferret measurements and weights from living
ferrets and polecats, and perhaps 3 times as many from dead ones. I
have already sent in nearly 1000 DNA samples from ferrets and polecats
from around the world. What I need is a sizable USA/Canada population
for direct comparison. I probably don't need another 1000 samples;
I'll let the statistics tell me when to stop. I am striving to reach
statistical redundancy, the point where the sample matches the greater
population and further sampling is redundant. At that point, you have
empirical evidence your sample represents the larger population of
ferrets.

The importance of this is it prevents nay-sayers from suggesting a
characteristic is because of genetics (already included in the sample),
husbandry (already included in the sample), or any other suppositional
explanations (already included in the sample!). Sampling to redundancy
eliminates obtuse suppositions so real factors can be better studied.

This is probably my last trip to California for some time and I need at
least 100 samples from the SW area. The DNA is an oral swab and a few
plucked hairs, and the measurements are simple and easy on the ferret.
I'll do a quick physical and dental exam and let you know what I think.
No, I am not a vet -- nor do I pretend to be one -- but I have been
checked out by a couple of excellent ferret vets and passed their
review. I won't practice vet medicine, but if I see a problem, I'll
tell you to take the ferret to your vet.

I need to finish so I can start publishing this research. Please email
me with your contact number and address (for mapping); if I can get
there, you will see me!

For those of you in California and the surrounding area, please
consider attending the Legalize Ferret Revival. I'm not the only
speaker, and a lot of important issues will be covered (Sat 25 Sept).
If for nothing else, Jeanne Carley's photos are worth going to see.

Bob C [log in to unmask]