From:
Kim Burkard <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 2 Dec 1997 09:30:24 EST
Re: Newbie owner wonders~?:

>Our little guy has one strangely unique quality about him: In the week or so
>that he's been here he has NOT UTTERED A SOUND!  Not a single chirp... I'm
>guessing since he was stashed in such a barren environment for so long he

Ferrets do everything on their own time schedule and only when it pleases
them.  Your ferret may just not be a talker.  And then again, one day he
just might start talking and you won't be able to shut him up.  In short,
he'll dook, chirp, or hiss when he feels like it and not a moment before! ;)

We've had Atlas and 'Jinx for about 2.5 years and Jinxy didn't start dooking
until just a few months ago. I thought she was never going to dook until
when day, when she was in a particularly frenzied mood, she started dooking.
It was a surprise to me. She's dooked since but only when she is in a really
wild mood.

Give your fuzz-bean time to get accustomed to his surroundings and the
routines around home.  I'm sure he'll talk sooner or later, but only when
he's good and ready!  :)

Winter Coats:

How is everyone's ferrets doing on their winter coats this year?  Ours are
finally getting some extra fuzz and fat.  I'm expecting Pippi and Atlas to
have the best coats out of the four again this year.  I always love Pippi in
her winter fat and fuzz.  She's such a petite girl who, throughout the rest
of the year, strives very hard to stay very lean and fit.  (She's a lean,
mean wrestling machine!!) It's great to see her with a little extra meat on
her bones!

-kim, squirt (Cuddle me. Pet me. Do as I ask and I will be your slave.),
 pippi (I ain't a'feard of no vaccuum cleaner!), atlas (kibble and bits and
 bits!), and 'Jinx (Shaka with his toes nipped hard. - Jinx's entry to the
 Darmok dictionary)

Kimberly Burkard     |             _    Everything I needed to know in life,
Eastman Kodak Company|      _____C .._. I learned from my ferret:
Rochester, New York  | ____/     \___/  Frolic and dance for joy often, have
[log in to unmask]    |<____/\_---\_\    no fear or worries, and enjoy life.