From:
Tuyet Atkinson <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 24 Apr 1996 12:21:52 -0400
Here is just another story with a happy ending:

Two nights ago, four month old Shea was playing with Callie in my bedrooom,
as usual.  I have just moved into a new house, and did not know that the
door leading out to the porch could open without the knob turning!  I've
lived in the house since October, and never once had this happened.  Well,
the wind must have been extra strong, as the door blew open, and out Shea
went.  I didn't know that ferrets could scale walls, but she somehow managed
to get out and climb down two stories.  When I went into my room a little
while later to check on them, she was gone!  It was night, and the
visibiltiy wasn't great, but my roomates and I looked all around the house.
I was scared that she had fallen and met one of the many cats in my
neighborhood.  She is so used to my animals, that I was worried she wouldn't
know better, and would try to play with them.  After a long search, I went
to bed, heartbroken.  Poor Callie couldn't figure out what happened to her
buddy.  Those of you who have lost pets know the feeling.  She was so small,
the outside so large.  However, I kept thinking of the stories many of you
ahve posted, and didn't give up.

The next day, I posted a sign before leaving for work, though I had just
read an article against sign posting in my neighborhood newsletter (Can you
beleive that?  I think I'll write them an article of my own).  In the early
afternoon, I got a call from my neighbor-to-be who is building a house
across the street from me.  Shea had found her way accross the busy street,
and into the half built house!  Luckily, one of the workmen knew what a
ferret was (one guy thought she was a wild weasel), and saw the sign I
posted.  So, she is back, safe and sound!  When I picked her up, she was
trembling in the workman's arms.  As soon as I brought her into my room, she
perked up right away.  When I put her in the cage so she could have some
food and water, Callie woke up, ran downstair, and started licking Shea all
over.  Needless to say, we were a happy household that night.  Sorry this
was so long, but I know that if I hadn't read other stories like this, I
would've given up hope.  Thanks again to those who unknowingly helped me
through a terrible night!

                     -Tuyet, Shea, and Callie