From:
sukie crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:41:38 -0500
It won't be a true "cold" (a rhinovirus) as we term them in humans
because ferrets don't get the rhinovirus types involved (as per posts of
vet pathologist, Dr. Bruce Williams, and as per vet texts).  What ferrets
DO get an Influenza A strains and sinus infections, as well as some
getting allergies.  Since they are trading it back and forth I tend
toward the sinus infections.  As you know, antibiotics don't help colds,
but you'll notice that when ferrets have cold-like symptoms that vets do
check for sinus infections so a number wind up on antibiotics in this
situation.  Humidifying helps.  Do NOT use over the counter meds unless
your vet okays them first because a number of reasonably safe meds for
humans are poisonous to ferrets.

Gordon, I am sorry that someone flamed you like that, but -- yes --
darkness DOES affect hormonal levels in ways which can affect fur levels
beneficially.  The reason is that the body produces melatonin when it is
a darkness.  Were tehy checked for adrenal growths?  Is there a chance
that there were trace hormonal levels in the trash they entered ( as from
throwing away the canisters of meds)?

>A dear freind of mine had warned a freind of hers several times about
>the danger of feeding ferrets chocolate, however, the warning came too
>late.  The ferret died.  However i must stress that this ferret was
>being fed chocolate almost on a daily basis, as a treat.

So, there may have been a build-up or the ferret may have had hidden
heart disease which responded badly.  Personally, though, I'd be more
worried about the risk of something like throwing thromboses (clots) --
often mistaken for stroke as per vets' write-ups -- from something like
licorice root than chocolate in ferrets.  (No, we do NOT feed chocolate;
you never know when there might be hidden heart disease it might worsen.)

Neutering: some states allow only neutered members of carnivora to be
sold in pet stores, some states allow only neutered ferrets to be sold,
males do become odiferous if they go into season and that is not feasible
in many living situations, and most importantly whole females have about
50% (40%?) chance of going into a potentially fatal form of anemia if
they go into heat (as per recollections of past vet posts)