From:
"F. Scott Giarrocco" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 1 Oct 1996 14:52:50 -0400
After reading the first three postings in yesterday's FML, I ws both
saddened and a little excited.  Saddened to hear of so many serious cases of
abuse in one location and excited because there are some of us who might be
in a position to assist with a ferret airlift.

Not too long ago some of my friends at Skunks As Pets, Inc., came across two
seriously abused ferrets at a Kentucky shelter during a skunk rescue.
Despite the fact that they are not equipped to handle healthy ferrets -- let
along two physically abused cases, they brought these two beautiful sables
into their skunk shelter and set about finding a ferret home for them.  Both
of them came from Ohio originally and had been left outside in a mesh cage
suring last winter's severe Arctic weather.  As a result, the male froze to
the bottom of his cage and was forced to gnaw off his hind feet and tail to
free himself.  His sister lost a part of her tail.  The Kentucky skunk
shelter contacted their Augusta counterpart and they contacted me.  Once the
three of of were connected, we airlifted the ferrets to Augusta through
Delta Dash.  I am happy to say that Delta shipped the ferrets COD in less
than two hours last Thursday.  Both are now happily residing in the middle
of a ferret wonderland.

Because of the success of he very minor operation, the SAP folks suggested
working together to get more abused ferrets to good homes via a "Ferret
Railroad." It seems that the skunk folks come across quite a few abused
ferrets, but have not had the wherewithall to do much in the way of rescue.
The Ferret Railroad is ready to assist the Kansas ferrets if we can -- since
this operation is only a few days old, my database of contacts is small, but
willing to help.  I have already contacted Delta Dash in Augusta and they
assured me that EVERY Delta Dash agent across the country will do everything
in their power to assist in helping to relocate these ferrets.  If one of
the three who visited the ferret farm would contact me, I will put them in
touch with everyone I can to get the rescue going.  My number is
803-276-8667.  (Bill, I'm not sure of your policy about phone numbers.
Please let this one go through -- if I get some crank calls, so be it.  It
might add some spice to an otherwise boring day.  If I can help get at least
some of these ferrets to safety, the cranks will be worth it.  Thanks)
[Moderator's note: I have no problem with people posting *their own* phone
numbers.  If anyone posts *other people's* phone numbers, please let me know
you have permission to do so.  BIG]

As for the two ferrets who came to me, I named the male with no hind feet
Boris Ferretloff.  He reminded me a lot of Boris Karloff who played many
deformed characters and yet was a sweet and gentle man.  His sister was
christened Anastasia -- she reminded me of the Princess Anastasia, she is a
little shy and nervous following her experiences, but very affectionate.

By the way, immediately after bringing these two rescues into my home, I got
a call about two other abused ferrets having been spirited out of Ohio.
Within 20 minutes, they were also in the house joining the rest of the gang.

F. Scott Giarrocco and the Mustlid Mob
Lovejoy, Miss Marple, Marlow, Ginger, Dixon, Sam, Campion, Boris, Anastasia,
and the two as yet unnamed ferrets and Nick and Nora the skunks, and Mrs
Tiggywinkle the cranky hedgehog.