From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 25 Jun 2010 15:54:57 -0400
The official has confused the ferret, a mustelid, Mustela Putorus furo,
with the mongoose, a viverrid, and these poor seized ferrets are paying
the price. Mustelids are descended from the dog portion of Carnivora.
Viverrids are descended from the cat portion of Carnivora.

Some other things are just plain wrong.

In New Zealand, which has a lot of flightless birds, there is a problem
with ferrets, polecats, and polecat crosses as well as other species,
BUT THAT IS IT. Rats accidently imported to NZ are a large problem, for
example. Ferrets and even European and Steepe Polecats do not hunt well
and need easy prey. The mongoose is a different matter, and while they
can be tamed and make a lovely companion they are more prone to being
able to go feral, like cats and dogs can.

The official does not know his comparative mammalogy, I am afraid.

<http://www.island.lk/index.php?page_cat=article-details&page=article-details&code_title=747>

Some quotes:
>Customs seize ferrets
>June 25, 2010, 8:56 pm
>
>by Ifham Nizam
>
>The Biodiversity Division Unit of the Customs Department's on Thursday
>seized two ferrets, from a Sri Lankan returning from Dubai and handed
>over the animals to the National Zoological Gardens in Dehiwela.
[Sri Lanka]
>Environment Lawyer Jagath Gunawardena told The Island yesterday that
>worldwide ferrets are categorized as an invasive species... faster
>reproducing rate -thrice in a year- and could adapt to any
>environment.
>
>...Department of Customs has a list of such invasive animals that
>would not be permitted into the country.
>
>The ferret is a mammal of the type Mustafa pectoris furor. ... average
>length of 20 inches including a five-inch tail. They weigh between one
>and two kg and have a lifespan of 7 to 10 years.

Sukie (not a vet)

Recommended ferret health links:
http://ferrethealth.org/archive/
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html