From:
Duck lite <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 24 Mar 1998 08:10:17 EST
Pam-

We have a little sprite named Molly.  She is definitely a runt, and at 6+
years old, her heaviest weight is 1 1/4 lbs.  In early summer of 1995, she
began to display symptoms of adrenal problems (hair loss, swollen vulva,
nesting).  In November, the vet opened her up and found nothing.  He
couldn't see any tumors.

A week later (stitches were still in) I went to another vet (now my current
vet) for a second opinion.  I requested they do the Tenn Panel, which came
back -suprise! an adrenal problem.

We scheduled her for surgery in January, and the vet successfully removed an
adrenal tumor, which tested benign.  Through all of this she remained
healthy, perky and stable.  Her fur grew back and she seemed "OK".

In early 1997, I again noticed fur loss, and a slight swelling of the vulva.
Back to the vet we went.  We opted to not have the surgery performed again.
Our rationale was that if we did the surgery, she would likely live another
two to three years or so.  If we didn't do the surgery, she would likely
live another two to three years or so.  So why put her through yet another
surgery?  I discussed this decision with three other well-respected ferret
vets, who also agreed that due to previous history or surgeries, benign path
report, and age of ferret, there was more risk to performing another surgery
than there was to just letting her be.

Well I am happy to report that Molly is still one of my perkiest, always
into something, sweet natured ferrets.  She has progressively lost more and
more fur, however there is no further swelling of the vulva.  She is in
perfect health otherwise, and her behavior and appetite are exactly where
they should be for a ferret of her age.  Her eyes are bright, she plays,
eats drinks, and has normal stools.

Had the original path report come back as malignent, I likely would have
gone for another surgery.  She is now about 6ish, and I truly think she will
easily live another 2 year or so.  BTW- yes, she is a MF.

-Anne