From:
Kathy Gallagher <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 May 2000 10:05:12 -0400
>From:    Jennifer Hudson <[log in to unmask]>
>Can a ferret develop mental problems??  I'm not kidding, this is not the
>same ferret I've known for the past 2-1/2 years.  And his attacks seem to
>be getting worse.  He is even pretty mean with his old cagemates during
>playtime, he grabbed one of the guys by the neck the other day and started
>to drag him!!  And no, this is was not normal play, he has never done this
>in his life.

Have you had him checked to see if he is in pain, bad teeth etc.  A ferret
can undergo personality changes from chronic pain.  Get him a good check up
and rule out physiological causes.

Have you considered having him checked for a hormone imbalance?  The
adrenal and the prostate regulate the hormones in a male ferret.  Even a
slight problem can cause radical behavior changes.

I had a small sweet tempered boy die of prostate cancer last year.  In the
last few months of his life he was convinced he was a hob and engaging in
"in season" male behavior.  Prostate cancer is rare in ferrets.

I'd read up on hormone in balances and adrenal problems in general.  He
doesn't need to have adrenal cancer to have problems.

Good luck!

KG