Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Wed, 25 Aug 1993 00:47:13 -0400
Aurelia,

RE: Potty training Cleo ... if the cat box and the ferret box are in
the same room/area, this might be a problem.  Obviously Cleo has the
right idea if he (she?) is going to the cat's box.  The way we cured
this (3 cats/3 ferrets all rooming in the same area) is to put the
cat boxes "up" on something so that the ferret couldn't get to them.

Then we placed the ferret box where the cat box was before (covering
it in such a way that the cat couldn't use it but the ferret still
could) and put cardboard all around the floor on the "edges" of
the box (so that mistakes would be made on disposable cardboard).

We then made sure that the ferret box had ferret poop in it ... so
that the ferrets would get the smell and figure it out.

The cats now have a "table box" so that they jump up to use THEIR
box, and the ferret's is right below it.

This has basically worked.  Note the word "basic".  The boys are
still a little prone to forgetting at times.  But at least ferret
poop doesn't smell too bad and is easy to clean up!

Linda (Vila, Doc and Raven)

Cats are cool ... but carpet sharks rule!