From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 13 Feb 2003 16:35:06 -0500
>The information I have on this disease seems to be based on articles
>and research in the 1994-1998 range - what is the latest research and
>information?  Looking for information re carriers, recurrence, diet,
>meds for survivors?

Have you looked at updates on the AFIP site?  If not go to
http://www.afip.org/ferrets/index.html.  Dr Bruce Williams was the
first to isolate the corona virus involved and he keeps up with what
others are also doing on this illness.

Pathologist, Dr. Matti Kiupel is currently working toward a possible
future affordable test (the only test possible now is done through his
lab right now and is too expensive in time and cost to use except when
he is adding samples) and eventually a vaccine.  He is careful worker and
a good one, and when he is ready to release his level of accomplishment
at that point he'll do so.  These are not simple problems.

We just plain assume that any pet store ferret may have arrived with the
corona virus, whether from the breeder or form the distributor then we
don't expose other ferrets whose have not been previously exposed for
around a year.

The best diet during an outbreak is a very bland one which is, which
is why Dr. Williams advises meat-only baby food at this time.  You will
find his write-up on this on his site as well.  It is gentle to the small
intestine.

It doesn't reoccur normally, but what does happen is that the small
intestine is sadly often left with damage and this can lead to later
medical problems like IBD (Inflammatory Bowel Disease).  If hydration
is not managed extremely carefully then there can also be kidney damage.
It is also not unusual for an older ferret with a hidden health problem
to have that health problem come to the fore while the individual's
health is knocked down.

Of course, bets are off for possibly catching many things a second time
if the immune system is compromised strongly like during chemotherapy.

Medications depend on the individual.  Some get secondary infections and
need antibiotics; others can get secondary colitis and need steroids;
etc.  You will see more about this on Dr. William's site.

>if he can't find a vein in a ferret, I just don't think he can possibly
>be a competent ferret vet

Keep in mind that it can at times be hard to get a vein, depending on the
individual and the health of the individual and that ferrets are harder
this way than many animals.  I'd sure rather hear of someone trying to
get the blood than not doing so, and sure would rather hear of this
method than the heart stick one vet who was unused to ferrets tried.  It
would be good, though, if this vet is not used to the neck stick method
to help the vet learn it.  It's always good to have more vets learn about
ferrets, and most do learn them by getting references and working on
them.  Our ferrets usually mind the alcohol swab far more than they do
anything else when blood is drawn.  We typically hold up a treat like a
small bottle with Ferretone or a tube of Nutrical and one scruffs the
ferret, another keeps the rear end from moving, and the forelegs are
over the side of the table and held down.  Then there is a very good
area for the vet to shave (sometimes -- depends on the ferret) swab, feel
with fingertip, and stick.  Ferret blood coagulates rapidly and in some
cases with illness it does this so very rapidly that even with immediate
shaking some tubes of blood can't be used.  It also eats up its sugar
fast so when a blood glucose test is done immediate readings are most
accurate, while a vet has to assume that being sent out will result in
further lowering of the blood glucose numbers.  (BTW, even harder for
most is placing a catheter in a ferret's veins.  It's often best done
with a little cut-down and when one person places the needle and keeps it
in place another often pushes the interior portion into place by moving
the slide on the tip of the IV needle fully.)

As usual, I am not a vet, just someone with 20 years of ferret experience
who has been involved in a number of ferret health related things.