From:
zoosferretsanctuary <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 21 May 2005 08:49:41 -0500
We have found the quickest & most humane solution to be masking them down
with iso--then administering the fatal stick.

We had one vet who used acepromazine (a tranqulizer) subQ first.  This
knocked them out--then he did the stick.  Trouble with ace is that it
does burn sometimes, as it`s going in--and the ferret takes a few minutes
to lose consciousness.  Your beloved fuzzy does not deserve even a
moment`s fear or pain, if you can spare it that.  With ace, they were
confused, as they began to feel the effects.  They became dizzy & looked
up as if to say "What is happening to me?" It took a few minutes to
work...

With iso, they may bat at the mask, because the stuff has an odor about
it---but they go under VERY QUICKLY.  Once they are deeply under, it is
just like surgery.  They don`t feel a thing.  I`ve had vets miss the
heart, & have to go in more than once---but the fuzzy didn`t feel it.  He
or she was just deeply asleep...It was over in seconds from that point...

One of the worst feelings in the world, is having to trust an emergency
vet to euthanize your ferret.  It seems like the *hit always hits the fan
after hours!  Most emergency vets are basic cat & dog people--and are not
comfortable with ferret anatomy.  If they use Iso, the ferret will be
completely unaware of the fumbling & bumbling, while the vet searches for
the heart.  Given in the chest area, even if it doesn`t go directly into
the heart, it will absorb & do the job---but it will take longer.  Your
ferret will be under , however, & never feel a moment`s pain.

It`s traumatic, saying goodbye to the most cherished little treasure in
the world.  It doesn`t matter whether you`ve had this one since it was a
tiny kit, or whether you have opened your heart to a bald old gentleman.
Saying goodbye hurts.  We need to make it the best we can for them.  Iso
first!

Love, Zoo
www.zoosferretsanctuary.com