From:
Linda Miller <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 4 Mar 2003 20:32:14 -0800
Whew! A lot to talk about..

Camping- I have decided that I'm going to rent a cottage at the resort by
the lake to take Seiko and possibly a new fert with me.  I'm scared that
something will happen if I do primitive camping so I've decided to rent
a cottage instead.  I'm guessing I will have to take the same precautions
with ferret-proofing the one bedroom as I would at a hotel?  My mom
offered to take care of him for me while I'm gone but I really wanted him
to go, so I figured I'd work around it...

Valerie Post- I don't personally know you Valerie, and I haven't been a
member here as long as most other people, but I do respect you in that
you do the best thing for your fuzzbutts as possible and not just for
yourself.  Life is hectic at a young age, believe me, I know because
I'm a bit younger than you!  ^^ It really upsets me that people base
adoptions at ferret shelters, as well as other shelters too, by age only.
I myself am only 17 years old, soon to be turning 18 in April, and that's
very young compared to most of the people on this list.  I plan to adopt
another ferret soon, but should I expect to be turned down just because
I'm young or not 'old and responsible' enough?  I think that I am the
best ferret mommy that I can be, and granted that I don't have as much
experience as most of the people here as well.  I researched and did my
homework and now have the best fuzzy companion I could want.  I think
that adoptions should be based on a person to person case, and that
should go for all shelters-not just the ones for ferrets.  People should
be given tests and a screening to prove their knowledge and adoptions be
with held until the potential parent is ready, just like with children
adoptions.  Even my own mother thought ferrets were 'vicious weasel
things' as she called them, and now, because of me and Seiko, she's in
there nightly cuddling him and calling him 'her boy'.  The point is,
there are irresponsible and ignorant people of all ages, and I think it's
somewhat discriminating to not adopt out unless you're over 25.  Sorry to
offend any people if I did, but that's my opinion is all I'm saying.

Itching- Seiko has been scratching himself the past week or so constantly
when he's out to play.  So I inspected him and he has really red raised
bumps and some whelks even on his belly and on his body.  What could this
be?  I haven't used any new cleaners, shampoos, litter, or anything, but
he doesn't like the Feline Pine I use all of a sudden-he's just pooping
everywhere.  Could he have developed an allergy maybe?  I do have an
inside dog as well but she's been treated to prevent fleas..  Any ideas
on what it might be, or what I can try to do before heading to the vet to
see?

Door Scratching- What are some things I can do about door scratching?  It
drives me crazy and he especially does it at night while I'm trying to
sleep.  When I leave the room he does it as well (but he stops when I
come back).  I've tried redirecting it to dig boxes (he has 2 of those in
the room.) But it doesn't work-the door is his fave.  Any ideas on that?

Finally done..! What a long post. :)

Linda + Seiko