From:
Sukie Crandall <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sun, 30 May 1999 13:45:35 -0400
One quick note re:

>But BIG would like for this to be a forum about ferrets.

It's not what "BIG would like"; it's what it IS!  This is and has always
been a forum specifically about ferrets and the people who love them.
Having been hanging around since before it began I can tell you that it
was always designed that way even before Chris Lewis first got it up and
running, and before Bill became the second moderator (and an EXCELLENT
one), back when people were discussing their needs.  It is a broad forum
WITHIN the topic matter, but it IS the FML for excellent reasons, rather
than being the EML (Everything Mailing List).

To top it off -- it WORKS!  As the saying goes, "If it ain't broke, don't
fix it."

In his job Steve has to study Internet groups which work, and some of his
co-workers include Internet Sociologists, Internet Psychologists, and
Internet Anthropologists.  (Hey, Bonnie, Steve and Steve and Steve if you
are looking at this, "Hello!".) Did you know that groups over 1,000 to
1,500 (more usually in the lower number range) are typically unstable, or
that the average Internet mailing list lasts only about 3 to 4 years?  The
FML is actually STUDIED as one of the rarest of the rare: a HUGE group (now
over 3,000) which has a long continuous history (something like 12 and 1/2
years currently if I remember properly when I was in Florida for the tenth
anniversary. 11 1/2?  Bill?).  [11 1/2.  BIG]

It also has been cited for its importance in improving ferret care and
ferret veterinary care, and for its rapid responses in situations needing
that (slowing the spread of ECE, stopping the spread of the mutant
coccidea, helping UAN EARs, etc.).  Furthermore, it has been a very
effective tool in changing legislation to favor ferrets.  (I still
personally think that some of the cases in which there has been
flame-baiting are done by anti-ferret people trying to cause dissention
within a foe which scares them.)

EVERY member of the FML is a valuable member of one of the BEST and MOST
SUCCESSFUL lists on the Internet, and we all have reasons too numerous to
be grateful for this format which worked in the past, continues to work,
and therefore is very likely will continue to be a force to help ferrets
for a good while to come if the same fair and even-handed procedures
continue.  Hey, we're all great, what can I say?!?