From:
"David C. Bonesteel" <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Tue, 18 Apr 2000 15:38:44 -0400
I would first like to say thanks to everyone who emailed me information on
adrenal surgery and post-operative care a few weeks ago.  Wanda had adrenal
surgery on Monday.  Both adrenal glands were affected and the right gland
had a tumor that was wrapped around the vena cava.  Dr. Finkler (the vet
that I go to and completely trust) said the best thing to do was to ligate
the vena cava, which was my worst fear.  So I said go ahead and he removed
both glands and part of the vena cava.  I went to pick her up Tuesday
morning and she seems to be doing fine.  She is very sleepy and has eaten
duck soup which seems to be a good sign.  I am to give her 1/4 tablet of
prednisone daily and go back in one month to have her electrolytes checked.
I have off the next few days to take care of her.  I was wondering if
prednisone has any side effects in ferrets.  Also what is the best way to
give prednisone?  She seems to dislike the taste of it.  Thanks!

Jaki and the fabulous four: Chili, Mulberry, Wanda and Zoe