From:
Rick Lemker <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 22 Jul 1995 18:45:49 -0400
Three months ago I accidentally poked a two inch slice in a fiberglass window
screen.  Didn't think much of it.  Six feet off the ground and all.

The little weenies thought it was perfect, just a minor climb, a little
clawing, and out they went.  I guess most of us have been through that
sinking feeling as we go from most likely hidey holes to least without
finding the little weenies.  You check the exterior doors first.  Then come
the cabinets, beds, refrigerator, etc.  At some point, you realize they're
gone, and you head outdoors looking in the last likely spots, casting frantic
glances up and down the street, fighting the urge to run.  Well, I have,
anyway.

Next thing that goes is your mind.  Why the heck would they run?  Where is
better than here?  The stupid dopes -- they'll probably get run over --
meanwhile you're poking around over here, no there, in here ... where are
they?  Nothing but cats and rabbits.  At midnight most people aren't
enthusiastic about neighbors plowing through their gardens regardless of the
excuse.

Then you start considering their well being:  hope they don't get eaten by a
coyote -- hope they don't get mashed by someone with a shovel -- hope they
run into an animal lover -- PLEASE let them find a good home if they don't
come back, Amen.

It was pure luck that I spotted Arlo digging in a planter across the street
that night.  Maybe we learn to notice their peculiar movements.  Woody, ever
the recalcitrant, refused to be found until two full days later.  He must
have been hungry or thirsty, because he finally decided to climb the neighbor
lady's leg, who uttered an indecribable sound.  I *knew* Woody was involved.
Guess he was in her garage the whole time.

The reason for this relieved, rambling post is to alert those who didn't
consider the possibility (like me):  the little buggers can go RIGHT THROUGH
fiberglass screening -- particularly if there's a hole already started.  You
think you've got the place shut, but you don't.  That mistake gives them
quite a head-start to oblivion, and they'll take the chance.

Here's to keeping them 'til a natural end...

Swampp