From:
Cheryl Nordgulen <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Sat, 7 Jul 2001 14:05:00 -0800
Hi Everyone,
Just a short reply to the queries about the shelter policies.

I modeled all of my contracts on the PurrFect Pals No-Kill Cat Shelter
where my sister works.  However, they do adopt kittens out to homes with
younger children, after a shelter employee, usually my sister, has
interviewed the people in their own home.

A hefty fee discourages those looking for a freebie.  The thinking we have
goes like this, although it is not always true, that if one pays a good
amount for something, they are more likely to take care of it.  The cat
shelter charges the same adoption fee I charge, and they manage to find
good homes for hundreds of kittens each year.

If a potential adopter is not willing to be interviewed in their home,
there's got to be a reason.

I have no trouble finding homes for the ferrets.  My reputation for honesty
and healthy ferrets has not been tarnished.  I work closely with Animal
Services (Control) of Thurston County and they refer ferrets and potential
adopters to me.

In this land of freedom, we are each free to follow the dictates of our own
conscience, and after seeing the conditions that some of these ferrets have
come from over the years, the Pet Shops do not get my vote of confidence.

I am not doing this to make money.  I am doing it because I love ferrets
so much that I want to protect them as much as possible in their transition
to another home.  I am small enough so that the ferrets can free roam the
ferret-proofed living room.  That is there room.  Guests must adapt to the
fact that first and foremost the room belongs to the ferret.  But, having
been a working person myself, I firmly believe that when the house is going
to be empty of humans, the safest place for the ferret is the cage.  A sign
posted on the front door lists the number of ferrets, cages etc., as well
as the cats and dogs.

I repeat, this is a free country and I am exercising my own rights when I
set the rules for my shelter.  I don't tell you how to run your lives or
where and when to get your ferrets.

After 16 years, I have seen a lot of sadness and abuse, and I just want to
try and protect the ferrets from any more of it.

Cheryl Nordgulen of the Critterpen