From:
Rita Brannan <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 29 Oct 2009 05:18:31 -0500
I took five of my ferrets to the vet last night for rabies vaccines.
All were pretreated with benadryl via injection. My 5 year old Lola
started throwing up and was taken back to the treatment room. My vet
came back and said she had been given fluids, dexamethasone, oxygen but
still wasn't coming out of it. My vet brought me back to the treatment
room where she was limp and non-responsive. Her temperature was down
and when that was checked she had bloody fluid come out. She did not
respond to anything. They couldnt find a vein and then clipped a
toenail. Her sugar was so low it didnt register. They could not get a
catheter in to get iv sugar(?) in but gave them sub q. We talked about
taking her to the ER vet but most of the ones around here dont do
ferrets.

Vet offered to take her home but since she was out of answers I wanted
her to be home with me. She gave me fluids with dextrose for Lola and I
brought her home. She was still very limp for a few hours but started
to move a little. She started panting and I gave her food and a drop or
two of pancake syrup (didnt have karo) and she stopped panting. This
morning she is better but now the vet and I are now wondering if she
may have had an underlying insulinoma issue we didnt know about or it
was just the reaction that lowered her BG. I was scared as hell and the
Vet said last night she said she had seen reactions before but not that
severe and she has been a vet 30 years. I have had reactions before too
with other ferrets but not like this. I have always been religious
about vaccinating but am really wondering now.

Any comments or thoughts?