From:
Andi & Todd Lockhart <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Wed, 6 Mar 1996 08:33:29 -0500
Since I got into ferrets in 1988, I've been through many vets looking for
help & a good ferret vet.  Unfortunately, good ferret vets aren't always
easy to find.  This is how we do it & these are my opinions - if anyone out
there is looking, you may/may not want to try any of these...

1) Check the STAR* database.  If there aren't any vets listed in your area,
try calling local ferret rescues/shelters and asking who they use.  If there
aren't any rescues listed in your area, try calling local animal shelters.
Sometimes they work with individuals that rescue all sorts of animals -
these individuals might be able to point you in the right direction.

2) Watch the vet handle your ferret.  I've been to many that *say* they know
ferrets, but really don't even know much about holding or restraining them.
Remember that lots of vets have the can vaccinate or give you antibiotics
without knowing that much about ferrets.  Honest ones will tell you they
don't know much more than that.  Many won't admit they don't know enough...
which means you may not recognize that there is a problem with the vet until
there is a problem with your ferret.  NEVER HESITATE TO GET A SECOND
OPINION!

3) Ask lots of questions!  I usually start off asking, "do you mind if I ask
you a few questions..." I ask if they're online (if not, I offer them every
resource at my disposal).  I ask them to estimate how many ferrets they see
a week, if they work with any rescues, and if they're comfortable operating
on ferrets.  I ask if they've dealt with ECE.  Ask if they've ever owned a
ferret.

4) Make sure the vet listens to you!  You know your pet better than anybody.
If you think the ferret isn't acting right, and the vet is telling you your
pet is fine, you might want to look for a new vet or GET A SECOND OPINION.
If you took your child to a doctor, said something was wrong, & the dr
didn't listen - you'd go to another pediatrician, wouldn't you?  This can
either make you feel better about your vet, or get the help your ferret
really needs.

5) If a vet lists several things that could be wrong & doesn't offer
treatment, or you feel the treatment they are suggesting is too extreme or
not aggressive enough...  ask for treatment options & have them explain why
they feel the treatment they suggest is best for your pet.  If what they are
saying doesn't feel right to you GET A SECOND OPINION!  Vets are not perfect
(except maybe for those who post on the FML)!  :) I'd rather spend more $$
to hear the same advice twice than wonder what another vet might have said.

6) If you're not sure if the vet is for you - shop around.  We do many well
visits to check out new vets.  This will give you a good basis for
comparison.  It is best to do this when your pet is well because it is hard
to be objective when your pet is sick or injured!  Besides, you're going to
be focusing more on your loved one than the vet.  This is also good to do
because a vet can better treat your pet if they've seen it when its well &
have a baseline for comparison.  We've got a vet we love, but we still shop
around.  You never know when you'll need one...  and believe me, when you
need one, they're even harder to find.

7) Ask about emergency visits...  how long it takes them to get to the
office, if they can treat any emergency - or if they refer to emergency
clinics.  If they refer, you'll need to make sure the staff there is
familiar with ferrets, too.  Call around and have a back-up vet of your
own...  just be sure to ask if the vet will see your pet in an emergency if
you haven't been in for an office visit.  In emergecny situations, some vets
only see patients that have had previous office visits.

Like I said, this is just what works for us.  These are suggestions & may or
maynot work for you.  Anybody have any other suggestions?  Vets, are there
any things you'd recomend?

Andi