Date:
Tue, 01 Nov 1994 12:29:21 -0600
        OOPS!!  I missed this one!  I've been trying to at least take the
time to make sure I at least glance through the issues enough to see if there
are any medical questions I can at least help with while Dr. W. is gone.  I
prefer to write back personally since it's faster, but as this one was posted
by an anonymous poster.  I know what it's like to be anxious about loved
ones, so I'm sorry this took me an extra couple of days.

        You mentioned being concerned that Ruck might have mites from your
friend's puppy.  Mites tend to be pretty species specific.  Their little
microscopic claws are actually specifically shaped for the species of animal
they tend to infest.  This might be why your vet didn't check.

        I don't know that the linatone would be causing signs now, especially
if you were giving it before surgery, and I'm not sure hair loss would be one
of the signs -- Dr. Williams would probably know.  There seems to be debate
as to whether or not linatone can really be overdosed very easily, but my
policy is always better safe than sorry -- might be better to find another
treat if you want to give something in large amounts -- there've been all
sorts of great conconctions mentioned here for lethargic ferrets.

        I can't speak to Rusk's increased musky smell.  However, if you are
looking for other things to check for besides hair loss, a swollen vulva is
another classic sign (but it may look normal, too).  I understand your
concern about an additional exploratory, but for adrenal surgery, vets tend
to go by signs alone -- blood tests are usually inconclusive and the sign of
hair loss is generally enough to be diagnostic.  Ruck is not extraordinarily
old, so as long as her kidney and liver functions are good and your vet
doesn't know of any heart problems, she should be okay.  Dr. Kawasaki has
found that about 80% of the time there is an adrenal tumour present when he
goes in to remove insulinomas, so the fact that Ruck has a history of
insulinoma would make it not too surprising to find and adrenal tumour.
Tumours can be fast growing and ferret adrenals hard to find, so it could
well be that if there is an adrenal tumour it was just not noticable at the
time of the last surgery.  If your vet has any questions, she can call Dr.
Tom Kawasaki at (703)-690-2580 -- that's Old Bridge Veterinary Hospital in
Woodbridge, VA, and Dr. K's one of the best.

        If by `under the tail' you mean Jumper's hairloss is on her belly
near her tail, you may want to be concerned about her, too.  If it's just a
little, or if it's *on* the underside of the tail, I'd just keep an eye on
it.  Ferrets, especially older ones, lose tail hair sometimes.  If it moves
off the tail to the belly or the back and keeps spreading, then it may be
time for Jumper to visit the doc, too.

        If I can help any more, please feel free to write me direct (it's
faster :) ).  Good luck!