From:
"Byrd, Heather R." <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Fri, 14 Jun 2002 11:16:24 -0400
I haven't been able to read the list in a few days so I was just reading
about the "Hope" situation.  I am amazed when I look at the pictures as
to how she looks exactly like our Arthur did when we got him from Animal
House here in St.  Petersburg.  You like to think that sort of thing is
the exception rather than the rule, it's sickening that it goes on at all.

When we got Arthur in January of this year, he was by far the smallest kit
in the tank.  We weren't going in to buy ferrets, just food and supplies.
Somehow because it was so crowded in the store we had to squeeze through
the animal area to get to the food.  I think it was fate actually.  We
stopped and played with the ferrets and noticed one way in the back
sleeping face down that appeared to have a silver tail.  We thought he
might look like our oldest silver Abby so we wanted to see his face.  He
was so far back in the enclosure we couldnt reach him.  Luckily a 6'3"
biker had come over to look and he was able to reach in and get him.  We
were shocked when we were actually able to see him up close.  He was the
sickest looking DEW we have ever seen.  We thought he was dead at first
because he was limp and non responsive for at least 30-45 seconds.  We
could feel every bone in his body, he stunk and had poop caked in his fur
and ears.  He had pine shavings and dried food stuck up under his lip and
his mouth wouldnt close all the way because of it.  We realized they
weren't softening his food at all and he was literally starving to death.

My partner told me to go get the checkbook, we werent leaving him there.
We were afraid to say anything to the store at that time about his
condition for fear they wouldnt sell him to us and a worse fate would
befall him.  We decided not to buy anything but the ferret that day and
have never shopped there again.  We did call them and tell them the
situation and they said something would be done.  A friend who was in
there recently said the place didnt smell bad like it always had before
and the animals looked good...I hope things have changed for the better,
but somehow I doubt it will last.  People just stop caring, it's a job
and they want to go home when the store closes, not have to do any more
than is absolutely necessary.  Unfortunately this happens a lot when
you have 16 year olds basically running the store alone, it's a lot of
responsibility.  Management needs to take more responsibility in this
process.  This does not mean there arent plenty of responsible teenagers
but they aren't equipped to run a store which is basically what we are
seeing at this particular chain of stores.

Anyway, when we finally got Arthur home, we gave him a bath and assessed
his situation.  He was the boniest thing I had ever seen.  He had ear
mites and was just generally in bad shape.  We weighed him on a food scale
and he registered just under 10 ozs.  We put him down on the floor and he
wobbled when he walked.  He had huge feet and a tiny body and looked like
a big wading bird, it was kind of funny.  He couldnt stay awake more than
5 minutes at a time and when we did moisten food for him, he was ravenous
(he ate so fast it would give him gas and he would fart in his sleep,
that's how he got the nickname Artie Farty Pants!)

Slowly over time he got bigger and stronger.  It is now 5 months later
and Artie is just under 4 lbs.  He is making up for lost time and he may
always be that way.  I sometimes worry about his weight but he is still
young yet and I'm hoping he will grow into his body.  I try not to take
any food away from him, I know his behavior is a result of his earlier
condition.  It pretty much scarred him for life, even though he is a happy
healthy boy now, there will always be a part of him that needs to hoard
food because he was being starved to death.  I can't imagine life without
our Artie Farty Pants....he is truly a blessing and I know God had a hand
in us going there that day.

So, moral of the story, there is much hope for Hope.  I believe that in
several months she too will be a happy healthy kit with as few memories
of her early trauma as possible.  Just give her all the love you can.  It
takes a lot of love to heal all that hurt.

Heather and Becky
With Abby, Andre, Annie, Arthur, Avery(aka Sleepy), Bob and Peanut (aka
Peanut Buttery)

Heather R. Byrd
First Community Insurance
Flood Department
800-820-3242 Ext:6271

"If Wal-Mart is lowering prices everyday, how come nothing is free yet?"