From:
Sue Pyron <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 29 Apr 2002 02:37:38 -0400
 To John and Shannon

When I was new to Ferrethood, I once had an incident with a small piece of
orange toy.  To this day I don't know where Princess got it as this room
was ferret proofed.  Anyway the thing that matters is she found it, and
she chewed it, and she got it STUCK in her throat.  That poor girl was
only about 2 then.  She was gagging, and retching!  Her gums were turning
blue as was her nose!  She was drooling like crazy and I truly thought I'd
lose her.  The only thing that crossed my mind was the Heimlich maneuver.
I had used it on my human children and both times (One time on each child)
I located her stomach and gently but firmly, in and up, nothing, tried
it again, in and up(by now she was limp) I tried one more time.  Alittle
squeak from Princess and out flew this little piece of orange ??
something.  She coughed and gasped and her little nose started pinking up.
She lay in my arms, catching her breath while I let the tears go now that
the worst of this ordeal was over.  In a minute or so, when I could see
her gums were pink and her tongue was nice and pink, and her freckly nose
was pink, I let her down and off she went.  To this day I don't know what
it was, where it came from but ferts find everything and the Heimlich on
ferrets does work.  Princess is living proof of it.  That was 4 yrs ago
and other than Adrenal Surgery, she's doing just great!

Dooks from Princess & her fuzzy family
Sammy, Oscar, Tori, & Nikki
and Mom....Sue Pyron