From:
Tracey & Bil Greene <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Thu, 27 Apr 2000 18:58:01 -0500
>From:    Weezzer <[log in to unmask]>
>Subject: Very Ill Ferret
>My five year old male Weezzer is very ill.  He is dehydrated and he has
>granular runny poop.  I took him to the vet and they did a "look over"
>(basically checked his ears, eyes, listened to his heart and lungs and
>examined his poopie) and told me he was in pretty bad shape.
>
>I live in north Alabama and while this vet knows more about ferrets than
>others in my area I don't think she knows as much about them as id like her
>too.  The above mentioned treatment was 89 dollars and while I know that's
>nothing as compared to a life its hard for me because at this time we are
>very low on funds.  The vet said that for 300 more she would do ex-rays and
>blood work and keep him there but she didn't think there was much hope.
>She said there was such a thing as "sick ferret syndrome" where they just
>get ill and there is no way to bring em out of it.  She also said she
>thought he may have more than two illnesses but she had no idea what they
>were.... I don't know what to do, I need the benefit of the FML's vast
>knowledge.  I love this little guy .... he's my best friend.  Any ideas
>you have please email them to me at my addy.  thank you all....
>
>Damon & Pennie
>& the rug monsters ( Weezzer, Sheba, and Peppin)

Hi Damon & Pennie,

My name is Tracey, I'm a vet tech, work with some ferret knowledgeable
vets, and am owned by 6 fuzzbutts myself.  It is obvious to me you care a
great deal about Weezer, as evidenced by you belonging to a great group
like the FML, and by the email below, and seeking the advice of a vet.
I'm also sure you've checked out such informative sites as Ferret Central,
which goes into many of the illnesses ferrets are prone to (adrenal tumors,
insulinoma, ADV, colds, flu, distemper to name a few).

Having said that, I'd like to offer my viewpoint, behind the scenes at a
vet hospital and shed some light on the issues you've brought up.

Now, from what you've described, the vet did do an exam, found Weezer to be
dehydrated, administered some sub-q fluids to help re-hydrate him.  It also
sounds like she may have wanted to do more of a work-up on him (x-rays,
bloodwork, hospitalization to observe him), but due to limited funds, did
what she could for you, sending home some anti-diarrheal meds and
antibiotics to help with any infection/bacterial overload possibly causing
the diarrhea, and some Nutri-cal to stimulate appetite.

The fact is, with a 5 year old ferret, she is right, there can be numerous
things going on.  Unfortunately, without the proper diagnostics, which it
sounds like she was willing to offer to find some more definitive answers,
it can be very difficult to administer the proper treatment.  Bloodwork,
such as a CBC and blood chemistry panels, can tell a great deal about
what's going on inside your ferret (blood sugar levels, kidney and liver
function, signs of infection, etc.), as can the x-rays.  There are also
more specific blood tests, like the ADV test that has been mentioned on
this list.

You didn't mention much else in your email, such as vaccine status of
Weezer, contact with other ferrets (how are your other 2 ferrets feeling),
diet, appetite, activity level, etc., history any good vet will take into
account.

My advice to you?  Have you contacted the vet and told her Weezer doesn't
seem to be improving?  If the diarrhea continues he is definitely in danger
of dehydrating again, and if the conservative route of meds doesn't seem to
be helping, then perhaps the more definitive, aggressive approach your vet
suggested may be called for in order to help your friend, if you can manage
it financially (I have a housefull of furry friends myself, and even with
my discount, most of my paycheck goes to their care, I know it can be
expensive).

Hope I've been able to help from my perspective, and good luck with Weezer,
and please keep us updated.

Dooks,

Tracey and the 6 fuzzies (Fizz, Rickey, Bippee, Teddy, Daisy & Buttercup!)