Date:
Mon, 18 Sep 2006 23:59:59 -0400
Just to update everyone on the Centerville MSPCA ferrets.... Laura had
told us of three ferrets there and that she was happy to house until we
made some room in the shelter.  As always, we have worked closely with
Laura and if a ferret is at risk or needs special care, she contacts us
right away and we take the ferret and place it in the MaFF shelter or in
South Shore Ferret Care (a newly licensed small shelter).  MaFF's shelter
director contacted Laura today and we will be taking in the 9 ferrets
at Centerville on Saturday.  There is a trio, a duo and the rest are
singles.  The two eldest ferrets (one is 6 years old and the other is
adrenal) hopefully will be going to a foster home.  The duo and several
singles will be going to the MaFF shelter or temporary foster homes.

For anyone in Massachusetts interested in adopting a ferret, please
contact MaFF's Hotline (781-224-1098) or check out the Wondering Weasels
page on our website (www.maferrets.org) to download an Adoption
Application.  Due to our overcrowded shelter situation, we are also
looking for qualified foster caregivers.  Again, if you live in
Massachusetts and have a heart for fostering, please contact MaFF's
Hotline or email the shelter director at [log in to unmask] to
discuss our foster caregiver requirements and guidelines.

Over the past year or so, MaFF has established very good working
relationships with most of the Massachusetts SPCA's or ARL's and is
notified of any ferrets who are at risk.  We just took in two from
Brockton MSPCA who were slated to be euthanized due to extremely
overcrowded conditions (many cats and kittens).  They contacted us and
we were happy to take in these two ferrets, who were labeled as biters
and who they felt were unacceptable for placement in a new home.  After
several weeks in the shelter, neither ferret has bitten the shelter
director, so we feel that they can be listed for adoption soon, but
only to a ferret-knowledgable applicant.  Their biggest problem was
too much cage time and not enough socialization.  They have made great
progress and we are looking forward to the day when they can enjoy the
peace and security of a loving home.

To expedite any future ferrets at risk, I would ask that you contact the
MaFF Hotline immediately to let us know of the situation.  Between our
shelter director and our volunteers, we can contact the shelter and make
arrrangements to either pick up the ferret(s) or have them held until we
have room to take them in.  In many cases, we have already been contacted
by an MSPCA or ARL and have made arrangements to take in the ferrets, if
necessary.