From:
Charlie Cook <[log in to unmask]>
Reply To:
The Ferret Mailing List (FML)
Date:
Thu, 3 Feb 1994 15:31:07 -0500
Hi folks,

   I haven't had any luck getting Tresaderm prescribed.  I called my
usual vet's office, and they wouldn't dispense or prescribe anything
for me.  They told me to come back in for another appointment.
Fat chance.  If that appointment didn't clear up the problem (and from
the sounds of things with ear mites, there's a good chance that it
wouldn't), I would probably have to go back again.

   I called up another couple of veterinary clinics, and they won't
prescribe anything without an examination.  I did find one that was
substantially cheaper for an office visit ($20 instead of $40), so
I may give them a try.  It's kind of discouraging thinking that your
vet is OK, and then finding out that this may not be the case.

   Is there anyone else on the list from the Toronto area, or am I the
only one?  If there's anyone else out there, I would be interested to
find out who your vet is, and how you like them, etc.  How do you know
if your vet is a good one or not?  I'm not sure what questions to ask
when calling up vet clinics.

a vet appointment. care.  That's goes with the territory of having a pet.
I just object to having to go back to the vet to have Jazzy's ears cleaned
when I'm quite sure that if I had the right medication I could do the
job myself (with less trauma to the ferret as well).  As to the cost,
I guess I'm partially spoiled by the medicare system here in Canada,
where if you have to go to the doctor or outpatients for a human,
the fee is covered by medicare.

[Yes, vet bills are quite a shock after being used to OHIP....
The FML used to originate from Toronto.  Dr. Michael Taylor is probably
one of the best ferret vets in Canada - he does "exotics" exclusively (or
at least, not dogs or cats).  He was originally with the Morningside
animal clinic, then with the Meadowvale animal clinic, now he has his
own ("Taylor something" I think).  Probably west end.  Another clinic
that seemed pretty good was "The Links Animal Clinic" (I think) jsut
off Yonge near the 401.  Morningside and Meadowvale are probably still
good, but we followed Taylor until we moved to Ottawa.  If you go with
Dr. Taylor, say hi from us.  He was the one who introduced us to
Tresaderm.]

   Charlie