From:
Melissa Litwicki <[log in to unmask]>
Date:
Mon, 8 Sep 1997 09:04:26 -0400
I'm hoping that someone will recognize these symptoms and have some
recommendations or at least general pointers in the right direction for
treatment.

Noodle and Easel both have a similar hacking cough.  Noodle started with
weird symptoms quite a while ago, but both of them developed this cough
about when I moved into my new place - or I just noticed it then.

Noodle had a series of chest xrays over a span of time and each one came
back with increasing cloudiness/densities around the lungs.  However,
overall general health appears good.  Good coat, he's putting on weight
after his ulcer episode, good energy.  Same for Easel, although we havent
gotten any xrays for Easel - just general good health.

The coughing almost more sounds like a honk than a cough.  They extend their
heads and make a long, drawn-out hrooooook.  Occasionally there is a bit of
a mucus rasp, but it does not sound like congestion (ie asthma).

I have not tried giving benadryl for allergies.  I live at an intersection
and could it be the exhaust fumes?  Noodle came back negative for a
heartworm test a few months ago, but I've been told false negatives are
possible in this test.  How long does heartworm take to kill a ferret?
These two have been sporadically on heartworm medicine (two doses this
summer, one early and one late).  Does/can adrenal manifest as coughing?

The vet who took Noodle's xrays stated he thought whatever was affecting
Noodle's lungs would probably manifest and be fatal by September.  Happily,
Noodle is still around but his symptoms HAVE gotten worse and Easel has
similar ones as well.  Yikes.

Any ideas?
Melissa

 ___ Melissa Litwicki __ [log in to unmask] ___
 By the whole newsgroup devoted tennis showing
     it after scarfing fork and laughters